• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

red breasted pochard (1 Viewer)

mbrtopaz

red crested pochard

March 21 weather has been a bit of a wash out and to make it worse i had to work as well. So after lunch decided to skive off and pop down to my local spot. Missed out on a smew a fortnight ago but today made it all better. Arrived at Bolton on swale N.R got settled in the hide and started scanning. Curlew;oystercatcher;lapwing;cormorant;grelags;canadas;mute swan;teal pochard;wigeon;coot;moorhen;shelduck;mallard;ruddy duck;tufted duck;little grebe;great crested grebe;and the icing was a wonderful male red crested pochard. So it just goes to show you think your having a bad day and blam one lucky spot and its all forgotten about. Happy birding.............

Last edited:
Graet Birds Red Crested Pochards, Saw one yesterday in South suffolk. They do seem to be seen more often but are all probably escapes.

CJ

colin j said:
Graet Birds Red Crested Pochards, Saw one yesterday in South suffolk. They do seem to be seen more often but are all probably escapes.

CJ
Re: Non-plastic Red-crested Pochards.

Is the behaviour of the bird a clincher?

I heard there had been a few recognised 'genuine' birds in the UK.

We have 2 on the river in Bedford. Both drakes. They look daft in my humble opinion. There's a rumour going around that they are gay!

colin j said:
They do seem to be seen more often but are all probably escapes.
There's a big feral population in the Netherlands & Germany, and a lot of British Red-crested Pochards probably derive from there, so most are as 'tickable' as Little Owls, Pheasants, Canada Geese, etc

Darrenom said:
There's a rumour going around that they are gay!
There's quite a lot of good scientific evidence for the existence of gay birds & animals, so why not?

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
There's quite a lot of good scientific evidence for the existence of gay birds & animals, so why not?

Michael
Indeed, they can happily be gay for all I care, live and let live I say.

Still think they are daft though!

Do I remember a report about 2 chimpanzees being lesbians? In China or somewhere? Or did I dream it?

Perhaps this belongs in RF.........................

Dragged down again!!....
I'm sorry.... but you know how it is eh folk?...
My sexuality is now in the open forum...so what!
'''sing if you're glad to be gay".....

love and hugs

Dave.

colin j said:

CJ

Colin, I'm sure I've seen an RCP with young. Do you count them if you think they are escapes?

Way back in the seventies I seem to remember that people more or less accepted that wild Red-crested Pochards did turn up at Hornsea Mere in Yorkshire and at Abberton in Essex - I never understood why those sites and not others along the east coast - but now there are so many breeding ferally that there is no way of knowing where they come from, unless there is any evidence from ringing??

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back