• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-footed Booby? Monterey, CA 18 November 2023 (2 Viewers)

jmtully

United States
Saw this while entertaining family friends, and not equipped for birding, hence the bad phone pictures. There has been a red-footed booby in the area for some time, shape, color, bill color seem about right, and I can't think what else it might be. Thanks for taking a look.

Attachments

• IMG_9118.jpeg
    IMG_9118.jpeg
    586.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_9117.jpeg
    IMG_9117.jpeg
    876.2 KB · Views: 124
I am seeing a very large and bulky head with hardly any bill at all. If you see it differently, well maybe I am wrong.

With that apparently dark crown, my first impression was a grebe (western?), but various loons are possible given the photo quality. I don't see a cormorant here but I could be wrong. I don't see a booby either...

There is a possible reflection / possible long bluish bill in both images..

I see a cormorant species facing away from us ... but given we already have three widely differing suggestions, I'll agree we are probably not going to reach a true identification on this image :)
It doesn't come through too well in the pictures, but the bill definitely had a bluish tint to it in person. I haven't seen any cormorant species around here that meets that requirement. But my pictures were horrible. So I know where the blame lies!

Looks to be Common Loon (Great Northern Diver) to me too (cf Butty's post #4)

Pic 2 - Stonking steely blue grey bill, dark neck patch, head shape (bumps), overall dark with paler front visible.

(Altogether too dark for booby anyway?? Don't see a cormorant myself)

Hi. I'm going on the lightish marking running up the side of the nape, dark head marking/shape, lightish bill....... could be a non breeding Ear/Horned grebe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back