• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpoll but which? (1 Viewer)

dragnil

The glass is half full, but the bottle is empty.
United Kingdom
I'm probably not alone in being confused with identification of Redpolls and I found this shot from Alaska in April 92, can anyone pin down which "type" it is please?
Thanks,
David

Attachments

• Redpoll Apr 92_01.jpg
    Redpoll Apr 92_01.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 38
The bill is quite large, the streaking is fairly heavy, and the bird isn't "frosty," so I'm leaning heavily towards common. I would need to review some photos before I could make this claim with high certainty.

Thanks, it's the only image I have since scanning only a selection of my old trannies.

To clarify - I was trying to say that my knowledge is a little rusty on this tricky species pair, so I should review online photos. After a quick check of online photos, your bird still very much looks like a of Common Redpoll. I just don't currently have the knowledge to make the call with 99.9+% certainty.

Maybe another way to put it is if I saw this bird, I wouldn't give a 2nd thought to it being a hoary instead of a common. Perhaps that is too cavalier though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back