• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpoll influx (1 Viewer)

Anything really, it sounds like a well-established project.

I spoke to Jan Visser. Heilongjiang indeed has a well-established project. There are five ringing sites, all in different habitat in the same nature park. Each site has two employees. Jan has visited three of these sites, where he met the fella that ringed the bird we retrapped in Holland. They mainly use decoys to lure in birds. The have special traps for redpolls (Jan sent me a picture; I'll ask if I can use it for my website; EDIT: I've added the pic).

To give an idea: in 2011 they trapped a little over 7800 new birds of 91 species.

And thanks to all who are so positive about the overview. Overwhelming, really!

Last edited:
I spoke to Jan Visser. Heilongjiang indeed has a well-established project. There are five ringing sites, all in different habitat in the same nature park. Each site has two employees. Jan has visited three of these sites, where he met the fella that ringed the bird I retrapped in Holland. They mainly use decoys to lure in birds. The have special traps for redpolls (Jan sent me a picture; I'll ask if I can use it on my website).

To give an idea: in 2011 they trapped a little over 7800 new birds of 91 species.

And thanks to all who are so positive about the overview. Overwhelming, really!

Some amazing statistics there Vincent, certainly "should" impact those national committees that are responsible for assessing the "provenance" of extra limital migrants, that turn up in Western Europe (from the East) on a not infrequent basis. The Michigan bird is potentially even more amazing!....as I assume it's compass point of origination is unknown? :eek!:

little search only revealed Waxwings (from Poland!) recovered in Siberia.

Japanese Waxwing in Poland from 2009 is mentioned in this Raritees Committee report. It was an immature male.
komisjafaunistyczna.pl/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/OP_2010-2-raport_KF.pdf
There were several photos of it posted in the internet, but they all disappeared over the years.

What is interesting is, how far in Siberia European Waxwings go, and how many seasons it takes for one Waxwing to cover this distance? Waxwings can move in one winter from Scandinavia to Spain and back, can they also move in one winter longtitudonaly across Siberia, taking a Japanese Waxwing with them?

Here in SW Norway there it is a much better than normal winter for Common Redpoll and Parrot Crossbill. Also better than usual for Arctic Redpoll.

Very few Siskin about on my local patch.

I seem to remember that some years ago there was a Chinese ringed Redpoll in Norway too. Or maybe it was the other way around....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back