• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpolls, SW Norway (2 Viewers)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Just wanted to check these finches from the Stavanger area over the last week:
1 & 2: Redpoll sp.s, both Lesser?
3 & 4: Both of the same individual. Another lesser redpoll?
5 & 6: Both of the same individual. Juv linnet?

Attachments

• P1430354.JPG
    P1430354.JPG
    947.5 KB · Views: 53
  • P1430387.JPG
    P1430387.JPG
    843.6 KB · Views: 46
  • P1430930.JPG
    P1430930.JPG
    752.2 KB · Views: 45
  • P1430933.JPG
    P1430933.JPG
    608 KB · Views: 48
  • P1440657.JPG
    P1440657.JPG
    858.3 KB · Views: 54
  • P1440695.JPG
    P1440695.JPG
    953.4 KB · Views: 53
I have a couple more photos of most of these if they would be helpful, but they are mostly pretty poor quality (except the last bird, I have several more images of similar quality to what I've already posted). I'm not even really sure what to be looking for to separate redpolls! I think Lesser and Common/Mealy are expected in the area

Lesser redpolls seem to have more colouring on their breasts, common has less. But biology is living stuff, and living things are complicated. Amongst them are birds, who I think are the most icky organisms to categorise, apart from insects.

Lesser redpolls seem to have more colouring on their breasts, common has less. But biology is living stuff, and living things are complicated. Amongst them are birds, who I think are the most icky organisms to categorise, apart from insects.
Plants are definitely up there. Phenotypically more plastic and with a far greater tendency to hybridise (than either birds or insects)

Yes
Not yet, at least according to the IOC ;) Any ideas on which ones we might have here though?
Yes you clearly have the redpoll redpoll... Perhaps the second bird is a bit colder, bit more like the "common" phenotype. The first one is brown like the "lesser" form

Users who are viewing this thread

Back