• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redshank with white head (4 Viewers)

Info on Ruff IDs

As someone who watches Wilstone virtually daily, myself and most of the regular birders there are disappointed if we don't see Ruff during a year. But then I think that Wilstone does account for most of the Herts records and I have averaged two to three different occurrences a year in the past five years.

I can also tell you that it wasn't there first thing yesterday morning nor this morning.

Thanks for the info TringBirder. I'm sorry that it didn't stick around for others to enjoy. I was there from about 11:10am til 12:45pm during which time it was present.

I had a look at BirdGuides description of Ruff plumage and thought I'd copy it here for completeness (http://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=057086):

"Ruffs are taller and leggier than Dunlins, the males being about the size of a Redshank, the females, known as Reeves, being Wood Sandpiper-sized. In all plumages they look rather fat-bodied but small-headed and short-billed, and their upperparts are usually well-patterned with brown and buff. The juveniles show an immaculate scaly pattern above. Ruff leg colours vary, so don't be surprised to find one with legs as red as a Redshank. And look out for birds showing signs of summer plumage, especially white-headed, white-chested males looking quite unlike anything in most bird books. In flight they look relatively long-winged with a narrow pale wing bar but striking white oval patches in the sides of the tail."

Thanks
Hobbes

Last edited:
Hobbes, no problem. Just glad you enjoyed the bird and learnt something from it. One thing you can hopefully take from this is that while you can listen to people when they tell you a bird is something you should always prove its identity to your own satisfaction and not just assume that other people are right because you are inexperienced.

I have come across numerous people over the years that talk utter rubbish with complete certainty and confidence. Indeed some people think I do that as well:)

Hobbes, no problem. Just glad you enjoyed the bird and learnt something from it. One thing you can hopefully take from this is that while you can listen to people when they tell you a bird is something you should always prove its identity to your own satisfaction and not just assume that other people are right because you are inexperienced.

I have come across numerous people over the years that talk utter rubbish with complete certainty and confidence. Indeed some people think I do that as well:)

lol, Hi TringBirder,
Yes, it's actually been a vaulable experience. I have not only learnt more about Redshanks, Ruffs and Reeves.....I shall be more fastidious about making an ID independently even if the hide has 3 other more 'senoir' and more experienced looking chaps in it ;) It's a good lesson to learn.
Right, I shall grab some breakfast and then maybe head up to the reservoir and see what's about today.
All the best
Hobbes

Having looked at the distribution maps, it seems quite unlikely to be a Ruff (in Hertfordshire)?

If you are using a distribution map from a fieldguide then these are usually quite broad and generous in their distribution of some species. Often species can be highly localised to specific sites. A county atlas or the local bird reports will give a much more accurate distribution status.

I have to confess in all the years I have been birdwatching I don't recall ever seeing a more than one or two white Ruff.

CB

One thing you can hopefully take from this is that while you can listen to people when they tell you a bird is something you should always prove its identity to your own satisfaction and not just assume that other people are right because you are inexperienced.

:-O:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back