• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redwings (1 Viewer)

Aaaaaaaaaaaagh..where are mine?

They always seem to take ages getting to my neck oh the woods.

They will be happy when they do arrive though,mighty fine autumn harvest of berries waiting for them this year!

Matt

matt green said:

They will be happy when they do arrive though,mighty fine autumn harvest of berries waiting for them this year!

Matt

They're probably fluttering over your house right now, Matt!!!

matt green said:

Matt

Yes matt i'm sure i read somewhere on here (last year ?) the first ones overshoot and its the later ones that land nearer the east coast.. don't ask me why though

but i've still not seen any yet despite hearing them coming over the last 3 nights

Nine flew over Napton Reservoir in Warwickshire this morning, the first on my patch. Must be autumn proper then :t:

oh at last!

Just been out in the garden and 30+ redwings flew over the house.

Will go for a redwing hunt later.

Matt

Redwings migrating at night

colonelboris said:
I'm sure I heard some on September 27th at about midnight on the South coast. Unlikely? Thin 'seeeep' noises well overhead.
That's the noise they make, right enough. I have not seen or heard any on the Isle of Man yet, although I was out quite late last night..
Allen

Loads today in N Norfolk - wandering around Cley, every few minutes another 20 or 30 would 'seeeep' their way over. At Holkham, the west end of the pines had got a hundred or more feeding on hawthorns, and more still going over.

Numbers still growing here; masses over the weekend, and the first of the inevitable road casualties - they spook at every passing car on the heather moors, and have little road-sense. Found 3 dead or moribund along a 2 mile stretch of hill-road by the house on Sunday.

A handful of Song Thrush in too, and a couple of Fieldfares yesterday.

ce

Huge numbers of Redwings in the Westman Islands off southern Iceland at the weekend, lava fields were heaving with them. All startlingly white below and amazingly shy, taking off when we were 200 metres away, very unlike Icelandic birds. Refugees from Scandinavia, I reckon.

E

In my neck of the woods redwings and fieldfares have been much less common over the last couple of years, which I put down to mild winters, hence less need for them to travel south and west.

Somewhere else on the forums, though, I read that many are now wintering in Scandinavia, again, seemingly, because life is less hard for them there.

Which started me wondering.

If there were a succession of years in which migration across the North Sea became rarer, would the remaining birds lose the tradition of heading across the sea?

To put it another way, I'm wondering whether, or perhaps to what extent, these migrations are instinctive or learned.

I wonder if anyone knows whether the migrations occur in family groups.

If the chicks of a particular season migrate with their parents, it would seem to me quite plausible that the migration pattern could just be lost, in a succession of years in which little or no migration occured.

OTOH, if the seasons chicks travel independently of their parents, I'd guess that the migration is much more instinctive than learned.

Then again, perhaps these aren't even sensible questions. Though I do gather tha at least some migration behaviour is learned. No?

David

good flocks of redwings on cannock chase at the moment getting stuck in to the rowen and hawthorne berries spotted a lone fieldfare today the goldcrest flocks are quite large also all good stuff :t:

I was on the west coast of Scotland last week (Ballachulish area) and watched a flock of about 100 Redwings. I reckon they were of the Icelandic race coburni, being slightly larger and darker than the ones I am used to on the east coast. First time I have been conscious of the different races.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back