• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reed or Marsh Warbler? Tuscany, Italy, late May (1 Viewer)

3Italianbirders

Supporter
Italy
Hello all, I first posted this photo in another thread, labelling it as a Reed Warbler, as they were singing everywhere. But now we are having second thoughts and a bizarre idea: what if it was a Marsh Warbler? It's rare and very localised in central Italy, but not impossible. We didn't see it sing, nor did we hear any suspicious song...
It's not the best photo as it was some distance away, but if anyone can help we'll be very grateful.

Attachments

• Reed-warbler.jpg
    Reed-warbler.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • reed-warbler?.JPG
    reed-warbler?.JPG
    895.3 KB · Views: 89
Hello,
interesting bird. Thanks for sharing! Yes, its quite a short billed bird, and together with the rounded head (single-picture effect?) and the quite pale, brown plumage this bird has indeed a resemblance to a Marsh Warbler imo. But it has a clearly warmer brown rump, good for a faded Reed Warbler.so it has to be one.
Knowing this, it lacks the slightly contrasting white throat of many Marsh Warblers, with underparts uniform white and some wash to the flanks (therefore better for a faded, pale Reed Warbler). And upperparts are slightly to dark and warm brown for an ID-book Marsh Warbler (yes, thas whishfull thinking).
But I must admit, I would leave it unidentified, when the flight shot wasnt there. And I looked at the two species more closely again in the last few days with this thread in my mind. Thanks again for sharing!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back