• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Regent's Park or Hyde Park for a few hours birding ... (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
I'll be passing through Central London in a few days time and will have a few hours available in the evening. I can probably get to either in similar time from Gatwick (hopefully landing at 3:45) before having to get back to Victoria Station for 11pm.

Any suggestions as to which may be better, or what I could do in them between, say 5pm to 9:30pm? Assume it will be mostly dark, but could be part moon/lighting. Owls and a few geese perhaps, and should have an hour or so of evening light to start possibly ...

Which one?! (Or neither - could go to Barnes WWT but assume that will be closed and not a member anyway)

Cheers!

I'll be passing through Central London in a few days time and will have a few hours available in the evening. I can probably get to either in similar time from Gatwick (hopefully landing at 3:45) before having to get back to Victoria Station for 11pm.

Any suggestions as to which may be better, or what I could do in them between, say 5pm to 9:30pm? Assume it will be mostly dark, but could be part moon/lighting. Owls and a few geese perhaps, and should have an hour or so of evening light to start possibly ...

Which one?! (Or neither - could go to Barnes WWT but assume that will be closed and not a member anyway)

Cheers!
Don’t bother. By the time you get through the airport and travel up on the train you will have so little daylight it won’t be worth doing.
Just have a wander around the bright lights of the city. 😉

I wonder (without looking) how easy it is to get to beddington instead. Far superior to either of those. Alternatively, and depending on route, Burgess Park will give you a range of common species perhaps without so much of a deviation

Don’t bother. By the time you get through the airport and travel up on the train you will have so little daylight it won’t be worth doing.
Just have a wander around the bright lights of the city. 😉
Ha ... unfortunately I like a pointless challenge ;-)

(And not too bothered about the bright lights)

I wonder (without looking) how easy it is to get to beddington instead. Far superior to either of those. Alternatively, and depending on route, Burgess Park will give you a range of common species perhaps without so much of a deviation
Hyde Park is about half a mile from Victoria, Regents Park about 2 miles, so they're both convenient/walking distance back.

I've been to Hyde Park before between connections, but Regents Park never crossed my mind tbh. I understand Hyde Park has Little Owls, although no idea where. One idea would be to head straight to the N end of Regents Park and take a leisurely explore south through both through the evening (assume they are open at night).

Will look into Beddington ...

I’d opt for Regents Park. With a little remaining light you could walk along the lake which sometimes has wildfowl amongst the captive birds. This area is also quite wooded.
The Little Owls in Hyde Park used to be near the Peter Pan sculpture.
Check London Birders site - Regents Park is well watched, Hyde Park I think slightly less so.
Probably nearer 17.30 before you’re in Central London, about an hour into town unless you get the Express.

Thanks peeps.

We'll see what happens - will post an update in due course. Will go for (an ambitious? realistic?) target of 8 bird species and 2 mammal species ...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back