• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rent or Buy a scope? (1 Viewer)

Merg

I'm travelling to South Texas and the Rio Grande in July. My current scope (the Vortex Skyline 20-60x80 [non-ED version]) is not worth bringing with me. I'm very unhappy with it even at the lower magnifications.

So the question is, would you bother renting a scope (total cost: $107USD) like this for the trip:
http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/spotting-scope-pentax-80-ed

or would you just put that money into a new scope?

if you'd buy, what would you recommend that would make financial sense?

Additional info:
I'm trying to save for a trip to Rome (from the States) in the fall, so while I'll eventually buy a new scope anyway, I'd like to put off the purchase if it makes sense to...

I'm travelling to South Texas and the Rio Grande in July. My current scope (the Vortex Skyline 20-60x80 [non-ED version]) is not worth bringing with me. I'm very unhappy with it even at the lower magnifications.

That's a pretty good scope. It should be quite good at lower mags. But there is a lot of sample variation in scopes. You might try to compare it with other skylines. Also, you might want to describe the problems you've been having.

Best,
JIm

That's a pretty good scope. It should be quite good at lower mags. But there is a lot of sample variation in scopes. You might try to compare it with other skylines. Also, you might want to describe the problems you've been having.

Best,
JIm

Even at 20x I'm unable to get a good image. And I'm not talking about a crystal-clear, razor sharp image at 1000m... I'm talking about a serviceable image where I can clearly see markings on a good-sized bird that's between 100m and 300m away. I can often ID birds at this distance with my 8x Pentax WP's or Zen Ray ED's easier than I can with the Vortex at 20x. And if it's farther away (or if I have it zoomed to 40x or 60x)... forget it...

In any case, do you have an opinion on the rent v buy dilemma? Because I have definitely decided not to rely on the Vortex, seeing as it's not really useful in my home area... where I know which birds I'm looking at...

Even at 20x I'm unable to get a good image. And I'm not talking about a crystal-clear, razor sharp image at 1000m... I'm talking about a serviceable image where I can clearly see markings on a good-sized bird that's between 100m and 300m away. I can often ID birds at this distance with my 8x Pentax WP's or Zen Ray ED's easier than I can with the Vortex at 20x. And if it's farther away (or if I have it zoomed to 40x or 60x)... forget it...

A couple of points. First, heat distortion can degrade the image of ANY scope at far distances. (And you can get this even in cold weather--especially over water or in bright sun.) If you're not familiar with this, this may be what you are experiencing. Second, if the problem is not heat distortion, you probably have a lemon. I would try to compare it to other scopes under the same conditions, and if they perform much better, send it back to vortex for repair or replacement. I used a skyline for a month (when I lived in Massachusetts); you should get quite a sharp image under good conditions at low mag--almost as good as the best scopes out there.

I would not rent or buy another scope until you understand the problem with the one you have.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
A couple of points. First, heat distortion can degrade the image of ANY scope at far distances. (And you can get this even in cold weather--especially over water or in bright sun.) If you're not familiar with this, this may be what you are experiencing. Second, if the problem is not heat distortion, you probably have a lemon. I would try to compare it to other scopes under the same conditions, and if they perform much better, send it back to vortex for repair or replacement. I used a skyline for a month (when I lived in Massachusetts); you should get quite a sharp image under good conditions at low mag--almost as good as the best scopes out there.

I would not rent or buy another scope until you understand the problem with the one you have.

Best,
Jim

Conditions (heat, cold, distortion, water, etc) are the same with bins & scope, as I've had to revert to bins to note markings reliably. And I have compared to other scopes at the same time, in the same conditions. Again, this is the NON-ED version of the scope, which I don't believe lives up to the same hype as the ED version.

Regardless, I'll contact Vortex.

If you all wouldn't mind, carry on with the discussion as if I don't have a scope at all. I'm not going to rely on getting the issues resolved with the Vortex before I leave... and I'd like an alternate plan...

Last edited:
Conditions (heat, cold, distortion, water, etc) are the same with bins & scope, as I've had to revert to bins to note markings reliably. And I have compared to other scopes at the same time, in the same conditions. Again, this is the NON-ED version of the scope, which I don't believe lives up to the same hype as the ED version.

Regardless, I'll contact Vortex.

Heat distortion is rarely a problem with bins bcs of their relatively low mag; it's only really a problem with scopes--and it can be a very big problem, rendering them largely useless at a distance. I've been looking at birds only 100 feet away on the dikes at Hellcat and could only see a brown blob. And I was using my Kowa 883, which is the best scope out there optically speaking. (And ED mostly just controls chromatic aberration--which many people don't notice. I was using the Vortex non-ED by the way.)

As for an alternate plan, renting a Pentax 80 would not appeal to me. It's a good scope, but quite heavy, and there is a fair amount of sample variation. But if the choice was no scope or the Pentax, I guess I would bite the bullet. If you decide you want a new scope, you might want to try Birdwatcher's Supply & Gift in Newburyport. They will let you try out scopes--but try to buy from them if you do.

Best,
Jim

Hey I'm from S Texas. Trust me when I say that in July the only thing you will want be doing is sitting a dark air conditioned bar! In July, atmospheric mirage is visible naked eye. A scope will be useless due to the heat.

good luck and be safe,
Rick

Last edited:
Hi Merg, If it was me I would buy one of the older Sky & Earth series Nikon scopes off Ebay and when done with it just resale it again on there. I bought the 20x60mm Sky & Earth series off Frank on here and this was for a gift. The person that received this gift was really happy with it. There was 60mm and 80 mm Sky & Earth series. You don't see the 80mm series for sale that much, mostly the 60mm. This is Frank's picture of it.

Attachments

• Cimg2090 nikon s&e spotter (Medium).jpg
    Cimg2090 nikon s&e spotter (Medium).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 72
I thought that picture looked familiar.

;)

I like Steve's suggestion. The little 60 mm with the 20x fixed eyepiece can be had for under $150 at a few places still. It is compact, lightweight and puts out some pretty decent image quality.

Though you don't seem to happy with the Vortex Skyline non-ED I am loathe to recommend the No-badge Vortex Nomad 80 for $200. Maybe it is that you do have a poor sample of the Skyline but I find the Nomad 80 to be quite good optically even at twice its current price. It, too, is fairly compact for an 80 mm scope and, I believe, would suit your intended application quite well.

I am not sure how much you are willing to spend but for under $500 you might be able to find the Nikon ED 50 or even the Pentax 65 ED (scope body for $420 and then put any 1.25 inch eyepiece on it).

Hope this helps somewhat.

whats point in blowing 100 dollars on something your going to hand back?

There are heaps of scopes available to buy for less than 150 dollars.

YOu yanks never heard of "make do and mend" ? YOu may even hit on a true bargain.

I suggest you try the scope before you part with any monies. inter-state mail order is bad plan, esp for ebay stuff. Although certain nikon/kowa bargains would be hard to resist)

for bargain scopes, try celestron, acuter, bushnell, just 3 that come to mind.

In any case, do you have an opinion on the rent v buy dilemma? Because I have definitely decided not to rely on the Vortex, seeing as it's not really useful in my home area... where I know which birds I'm looking at...

I have been contemplating about renting a scope too. Does the $107 including shipping as well?

I would lend you my scope if you were around! Can't you use a scope from a fellow birdwatcher? I know plenty of people with scopes, and I bet you know some fellow birdwatchers that could lend you one?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back