• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replacement case for Kowa 8x33 Genesis XD33 Binoculars (1 Viewer)

tvcrider

Does anyone in the U.S. know were I might obtain a original replacement case for a pair of Kowa 8x33 Genesis XD33 Binoculars?

Yes, I have emailed Kowa (USA) customer service three times now, over the last six weeks, without response. :C

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone in the U.S. know were I might obtain a original replacement case for a pair of Kowa 8x33 Genesis XD33 Binoculars?

Yes, I have emailed Kowa (USA) customer service three times now, over the last six weeks, without response. :C

Thanks in advance.

My policy is that if they don't have a phone number I can call I won't deal with them. Here is their phone number for what it is worth: 310-327-1913. It's at the bottom of the page.

http://kowasporting.com/contact

If that doesn't work you can get good universal binocular cases from Eagle Optics. They can check if a Kowa 8 x 33 will fit them.

Bob

As I mentioned in my user report, I think the original Kowa case is fairly useless as it has neither a belt loop nor carrying strap.
Instead I use an old Lowe Pro case originally bought for a 7x42 Swarovski SLC, which is big enough to hold a field guide when the bins are round my neck.
If you want something really classy have a look at Brady Bags.

John

My policy is that if they don't have a phone number I can call I won't deal with them. Here is their phone number for what it is worth: 310-327-1913. It's at the bottom of the page.

http://kowasporting.com/contact

If that doesn't work you can get good universal binocular cases from Eagle Optics. They can check if a Kowa 8 x 33 will fit them.

Bob

Bob,
Thank you for the number and using it I did get a hold of a real person at Kowa USA. Ironically they sent me to the same authorized local dealer that I originally purchased the binoculars from. The binoculars in question were missing the original case, rainguard, strap and box. The dealer tried to obtain these items from Kowa. They were successful on the box and rainguard and threw in a strap, but for some reason they could not obtain the Kowa case. I am not sure why?

I will probably go the Eagle Optics route, once I figure out which size I need, but I will also look at the Brady Bags that John suggested.

Regards,
Joe

As I mentioned in my user report, I think the original Kowa case is fairly useless as it has neither a belt loop nor carrying strap.
Instead I use an old Lowe Pro case originally bought for a 7x42 Swarovski SLC, which is big enough to hold a field guide when the bins are round my neck.

John

John,
Thanks for your input. Off to look at Brady Bags as an option.

Joe

John

Thats interesting as I think the Kowa case is perfect for my needs and I am looking to buy a second one. Since I throw binocular and case only in the backpack or bigger bag and never use it otherwise, the lack of a strap is quite welcome. Also, its sturdy and stiff enough to give protection this way. Not as big and bulky as the Swaro case it will replace.

Thats interesting as I think the Kowa case is perfect for my needs and I am looking to buy a second one. Since I throw binocular and case only in the backpack or bigger bag and never use it otherwise, the lack of a strap is quite welcome. Also, its sturdy and stiff enough to give protection this way. Not as big and bulky as the Swaro case it will replace.

Yes, personal preferences can be very different. I always shorten my bin straps so that they just pass over my head, but apart from local walks, I usually have a case diagonally over my shoulder with a field guide (is it a meadow pipit or a tree pipit?), so the small Kowa case is of little use to me.

If I have the scope with me the 8x33 Genesis usually gets preference over the two 42 mm Swaros because of its light weight, and in windy conditions I can hang the strap of the bin case over all three tripod legs to dampen vibrations.

John

Kowa customer service relented this morning, apparently because my local dealer could not obtain said case from them.
However, they initially quoted me a price of $10 (plus postage) for the case, which I thought was very reasonable. They then they called back and stated that they had made an error and that the price was $25.

I have decided to go the Eagle Optics route. According to EO this case will be a best fit for the 8 x 33 Genesis.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular-accessories/vortex/vortex-viper-42mm-roof-prism-binocular-case

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back