• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another bridge camera thread... (1 Viewer)

stevethehydra

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a new bridge camera, as the Panasonic DMC-LZ30 (specs here: Specs - DMC-LZ30 LUMIX Bridge Cameras - Panasonic ) that I've had for 9 years is getting a bit battered and having problems like the zoom frequently sticking.

I'm not very technical and would like a camera that is simple to use and has a good autofocus as I struggle to get my head round manually adjusting stuff.

I'd also like a camera that's fairly lightweight as I'm into hiking and scrambling as well as birding (birds are probably 20-30% or so of my photos, the rest being mainly landscapes), so something not a lot bigger/heavier than the DMC-LZ30. From other threads here it seems like a lot of the recommended bridge cameras (like the Canon SX70 and the Nikon P950 - both also more expensive than I'd really be up for) are over 1kg in weight, whereas the DMC-LZ30 is half that.

One thing I find a bit frustrating about the DMC-LZ30 is its lack of a viewfinder, so if upgrading I'd like to get a camera that has one. Any recommendations?

Edited to add a couple more thoughts/questions:

- One thing that I appreciate about the DMC-LZ30 is that it uses AA batteries, as if I've forgotten to charge mine, I can easily buy some in a train station, supermarket or wherever. It seems like most of the bridge cameras I can find online now use their own battery packs. I don't think I've seen any discussion here of the (dis)advantages of AA batteries vs battery packs - what are people's thoughts on that?

- I'm not particularly crazy about extreme levels of zoom, but I wouldn't like to downgrade. The DMC-LZ30 has 35x optical zoom. Some other Panasonic cameras that I've been looking at online, such as the DMC-FZ330, have lower optical zoom (in this case 24x) but higher "intelligent zoom" (in this case 48x). I don't really know what "intelligent zoom" is, and I've always thought that digital zoom is basically worthless as it's really just cropping and digitally enlarging the photo, so doesn't increase detail - is "intelligent zoom" meaningfully different?

From what you have said the Panasonic FZ330 seems perfect for your needs. Intelligent zoom will just be like digital zoom though but the FZ330 has a bigger lens than your LZ30 this means it will produce a higher resolution image which will allow more cropping. Also the FZ330 allows for front end teleconverters, although that increases cost and size and if going down that route the Nikon P900 would be a better option IMO.

Thanks, that's a good point about image resolution!

On the Panasonic site though they say the FZ330 only has 12.1 Megapixels, as opposed to 16.1 for the LZ30...

I'm looking at the Sony DSC-HX400V now: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-hx400-hx400v/specifications - any opinions on that one?

Thanks, that's a good point about image resolution!

On the Panasonic site though they say the FZ330 only has 12.1 Megapixels, as opposed to 16.1 for the LZ30...

I'm looking at the Sony DSC-HX400V now: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-hx400-hx400v/specifications - any opinions on that one?
Massive misunderstanding on the net, megapixels does not equal resolution. The smaller camera system the more its down to the lens. Again the camera you mentioned the Sony would be better than your current one and would also give more reach, it has similar size lens as the Panasonic but I would expect a better image from the Panasonics due the leica 2.8 lens v the Sonys 6.3, meaning better cropability hence the reach advantage will not be as significant as the quoted full frame equiv lens dimensions imply. But I do expect the sony to have the reach advantage.

Massive misunderstanding on the net, megapixels does not equal resolution. The smaller camera system the more its down to the lens. Again the camera you mentioned the Sony would be better than your current one and would also give more reach, it has similar size lens as the Panasonic but I would expect a better image from the Panasonics due the leica 2.8 lens v the Sonys 6.3, meaning better cropability hence the reach advantage will not be as significant as the quoted full frame equiv lens dimensions imply. But I do expect the sony to have the reach advantage.
I have owned both the Sony DSC-HX400V and the Panasonic Lumix FZ330. The Sony had the advantage of better reach. But overall the results from the Panasonic were much better. In particular, cropped photos were better from the Panasonic compared to the Sony. I have sold both, but as I recall the Panasonic had many more (useful) features compared to the Sony. I regret selling both of these, but I moved on for a while to full frame cameras for a while, but now use MFT gear. If I had to chose to buy one of these again, I would go for the Panasonic. SW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back