• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replacement for Nikon Coolpix 4500 (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

So maybe I'm dreaming an impossible dream, but here's my wishlist for a new digiscoping camera that may not exist.

I'm generally quite happy with my Coolpix 4500, but things like faster save speeds, ability to shoot moving subjects (faster shutter speed?), better low-light photography, bit more resolution, etc. of the newer cameras often makes me wishful.

So here's my wish list:

• Digiscoping-friendly. In other words, there are known adapters for known scopes, etc. so I can buy off-the-shelf components.
  • Internal zoom. I don't want to mess with a camera that zooms external to the camera body. 3-5x zoom is likely more than adequate.
  • Threaded for lenses. Should work on it's own (without external lens), but still accept threaded accessory lenses. It does occur to me though that this might get me stuck with afocal photography like I am now. I'd rather shoot straight off the scope rather than the eyepiece, so I'm open to suggestions on this point.
  • Prosumer friendly. I've never been good with manual settings outside of using canned setups listed online. On the other hand, I do like that availability. So a camera with "Auto" for basic point-and-shoot, "Semi-Manual" for some manual settings and some auto settings (so the camera is fairly smart to compensate for my cluelessness), and "Manual" for the full manual experience.
  • Pivot-body or a pivot-screen. If it's a pivot screen it has to be fairly adjustable, like the flip-screens on many camcorders. I don't want just a couple of preset flip-out angles, not flexible enough.
  • Larger screen. The tiny little 1.5" screen on the 4500 is a pain at times. This might be more of a nice-to-have because...
  • ...still want a fairly compact, lightweight camera.
  • Good low-light (dawn/dusk) photography without blowing-out highlights (wide dynamic range). Good Dmax is a plus since I shoot at sunrise/sunset, but Dmin is necessary because my favorite subject is a white raptor. ;-p
  • Built-in flash is a nice-to-have for basic off-scope household use, but it doesn't have to be more than a short-range fill-flash. I can do without though, as this would be 99.99% a camera attached to a scope.
  • Over 4 megapixels. On this note though, I would prefer less megapixels and better optics over more megapixels and "meh" optics.

Cost is a concern (too high and I can never have my dream Coolpix replacement), but feature set is more important (not going to replace the Coolpix for less features).

My current Coolpix 4500 and scope rig is shown here.

Last edited:
You must be the last of the Nikon 4500 users out there. There have a lot of digiscoping cameras since the 4500 but maybe none with all your requirements ( the 990/995/4500 design was unique ).
The best replacement was the Nikon Coolpix 8400. If you can find one second hand it will do a much better job than the 4500, although the lens won't give you the range you are used to.
A current favorite is the Nikon V1/V2 with one of the kit zoom lenses. Good Electronic Viewfinder, big/bright screen and fast frame rate. It doesn't have a rotable screen though which is a bit limiting. You can get the V1 though for a good price if you shop around.
Many people are using Micro Four Thirds cameras these days and you could pick up one of the older models off Ebay for a good price. Something like the Panasonic G1 has most of your requirements.
Neil.

You must be the last of the Nikon 4500 users out there. There have a lot of digiscoping cameras since the 4500 but maybe none with all your requirements ( the 990/995/4500 design was unique ).
The best replacement was the Nikon Coolpix 8400. If you can find one second hand it will do a much better job than the 4500, although the lens won't give you the range you are used to.
A current favorite is the Nikon V1/V2 with one of the kit zoom lenses. Good Electronic Viewfinder, big/bright screen and fast frame rate. It doesn't have a rotable screen though which is a bit limiting. You can get the V1 though for a good price if you shop around.
Many people are using Micro Four Thirds cameras these days and you could pick up one of the older models off Ebay for a good price. Something like the Panasonic G1 has most of your requirements.
Neil.

Hi Neil
What lens would you use with the G1, just out of interest, please?
Thanks
Hobbes

You must be the last of the Nikon 4500 users out there.
I wouldn't doubt it. :king:

I never bought it to "do digiscoping," I've just been using a series of the twist-bodied Coolpix cameras because I like the features and form factors back when they were alot newer. The lenses were not too expensive, and so it was easy to acquire accessories. Seeing as how I don't replace things unless they die horrible deaths, and that 4 MP combined with quite good optics yields plenty good enough photos, saw no reason to change.

In fact, I have been doing "long range wildlife photography" using my 8x32 CrystalVue Sharpshooter lens for years...only recently discovered it was called "digiscoping" (the Sharpshooter is alternately called a lens, a teledapter, or a scope depending on whose definition you use) and only this year bought a scope for longer ranges. Since these cameras were apparently fairly popular with digiscopers once upon a time, having settings at my fingertips has been a big plus.

And it's not that I can't get pictures that make me quite happy, but I do sometimes yearn for improvements. :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back