• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

request help with image of Shags from Bulgaria Black Sea (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Hello. Please may I request advice. I took a photo of a group of Shag in September 2019 near Cape Kaliakra. I do understand the local "subspecies" is desmarestii.
I have read these birds have difference in appearance to those eg in the UK.
Please may I enquire if someone with more experience than me would be able to assign the birds to that race from my photo. Also that if possible they point out to me which feature or features do the trick in this instance.
I do apologise for the poor photo but it was all I was able to get as I had a poor bridge camera at the time.
With thanks

Attachments

• File 187.jpg
    File 187.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • File 187.jpg
    File 187.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
They look like regular shags to me. What's your source for thinking they would be visibly different in the field?
But... the quality of the photo is so low that I would doubt that any subspecies-level difference would show up in any case.

They look like regular shags to me. What's your source for thinking they would be visibly different in the field?
But... the quality of the photo is so low that I would doubt that any subspecies-level difference would show up in any case.
To be honest it is a bit of a shot in the dark . I am advised desmarteesii aka Mediterranean Shag is the local race a different race to the local race to where I live (UK) so was just wondering if appearance-wise they can be separated. However I do accept the photos are very poor.

The simple fact is that most races of most things can't be readily separated in the field (this is a broad generalization about which I won't be surprised to see some disagreement). But in general there is little to be gained by trying to put a name to the local subspecies of something, especially because it just is what it is: with resident species, the subspecies that you see somewhere will just be the subspecies that is normally resident in that area, and putting a name to it doesn't demonstrate anything one way or another.

The simple fact is that most races of most things can't be readily separated in the field (this is a broad generalization about which I won't be surprised to see some disagreement). But in general there is little to be gained by trying to put a name to the local subspecies of something, especially because it just is what it is: with resident species, the subspecies that you see somewhere will just be the subspecies that is normally resident in that area, and putting a name to it doesn't demonstrate anything one way or another.
Fair point. Mind you I would still like to hear if anyone else can offer a comment :)

Collins also says (adult) bill is paler yellow giving less contrast. Illustration is perhaps ambiguous, but suggests breeding bill of other sspp mainly black, of this ssp yellowish
Thank you. If I get back there sometime I will try and get better shots of Shag. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back