• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

request id assistance 2 birds of prey, Sharm El-Sheikh, 14-12-23 (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Please may I seek advice.
I was tracking a BOP with the camera in burst mode, and later on, noticed the images had 2 birds present, not one. There seems to be a bird with pale underparts and a darker bird (although lighting conditions aren't that good). One of the birds subsquently landed and perched a good distance away, and I could no longer see the other one. I am fairly confident (ish) the perched bird is a Bonelli's Eagle. I suspect the other one is too. However I would be grateful for comments please, as this trip was my first encounter with eagles and I am not confident with them. I was wondering if the seemingly darker bird is also a Bonelli's Eagle? I do apologize for the poor image quality due to heavy cropping and heat haze.

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    800.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    649.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 0006.jpg
    0006.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 0007.jpg
    0007.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 59
  • 0008.jpg
    0008.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 0009.jpg
    0009.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 0010.jpg
    0010.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 58
  • 0011.jpg
    0011.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 0012.jpg
    0012.jpg
    864.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 0014.jpg
    0014.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 0015.jpg
    0015.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 73
Looks good for juvenile Bonelli's eagle (except possibly the narrow dark subterminal tail-band). Other one might be black kite.
Best if you don't post multiple very-similar crops of the same photo (1-3, 4-5. 6-8).
Thank you for the species identifications. I think those id's for the two . I will refrain from posting very similar crops in future. Good point. I too thought about Black Kite for the other. If so it is a "camera tick". Do you think the Black Kite is a definite id for that bird please or just a maybe?

Last edited:
See your field guide 😁
Actually not (all) in 'the' field guide. The additional inferences you would have to make come from the facts that the secondaries have mostly been moulted (as Mr/Ms Smiths says, and as I didn't notice) and that the tail is non-juvenile immature (as I suggested above - NB not adult).

No doubt about the Black Kite, I would say.
The Bonelli's Eagle is not a juvenile but is in its second calendar year (i.e. born in 2022), as is evident from its adult-like tail feathers and the two generations of secondaries (mostly adult-like, but with a few juvenile feathers remaining). See your field guide 😁.
Thank you. I think in pic 0005 with the Black Kite, one can just about make out (I think) the slightly concave tail - ending perhaps giving the hint of the fork in the tail that a Black Kite has.
Thank you to for providing those details about the ageing of the Bonelli's Eagle. I will paste these into my notes

Actually not (all) in 'the' field guide. The additional inferences you would have to make come from the facts that the secondaries have mostly been moulted (as Mr/Ms Smiths says, and as I didn't notice) and that the tail is non-juvenile immature (as I suggested above - NB not adult).
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back