• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 Verano (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
I have to toss this Verano 8x32 into the ring when people start looking at solid binoculars under $1000. I know the Conquests, MHG’s etc get all the hooplas but just below them, and not by much… is this Verano. Less dollars, an almost equal view and experience. I am not going to say they equal those mentioned ( or the Meostar plus)… but wow,the Verano delivers. I wish they had a 10x32 in their lineup to. I find the Verano to be a better binocular than the Traveler… better than the Mavens, GPOs…. So again , it has earned a spot in quality and experience a notch better than those, but a notch right below MHG etc. I travel Australia often to see family… and I keep these stashed down under for my birding pleasure. That is how good they are.

Also….. I believe the Opticron line specifically is designed with birding and nature viewing in mind. Other companies are hunter minded…. Or balance between hunting and birding and astronomy etc… but Opticron, more birder inclined…. In my Humble opinion.

In 8x32, how to choose between the GPO Passion or Spectra, Opticron Verano,Leupold Bx-4, Hawke Frontier ED all in the $500 price point or maybe they are all great. Don't have time or $$ to try them all? Is the Zeiss Conquest that much better for $1k?

I have looked at all that you have mentioned with the exception of the Leupold. I would take the Verano and 'did'.... They are a pair of binoculars I keep here in Australia when I visit my grandkids ...so I find them good enough for myself to use. (saves me from taking a pair down here when I travel).

In my thoughts....the GPO has a lose / too much play in the focus wheel... The frontier is nice but not as nice as the Verano. The Conquest being better....? Sure it is, but twice the $. If you are going into that $ territory, look for a Nikon 8x30 MHG or a Meostar B1 Plus. Good luck

I have looked at all that you have mentioned with the exception of the Leupold. I would take the Verano and 'did'.... They are a pair of binoculars I keep here in Australia when I visit my grandkids ...so I find them good enough for myself to use. (saves me from taking a pair down here when I travel).

In my thoughts....the GPO has a lose / too much play in the focus wheel... The frontier is nice but not as nice as the Verano. The Conquest being better....? Sure it is, but twice the $. If you are going into that $ territory, look for a Nikon 8x30 MHG or a Meostar B1 Plus. Good luck
Thanks. Where is the best place to buy the Verano? Looking also at the Leuplod bx-4 now on sale and made in Japan.

Would you say it is much better than the Traveller? The Traveller I could get for 390 so not sure if it is worth while spending that 100 extra bucks. Traveller is also lighter.

It realluy depends on what you value. For example if you have somewhat larger hands, the Verano is better, If you value a wider fov, then the Traveller is perhaps better. Personally I would spend the money on the Verano. There are two pretty common complaints about typicel 30-32 mm roof binoculars, eitheer they are a bit too small, or the eye cup extension does not match the eye relief specs ans some kidney bean style blackouts or glare can be an issue. For me, the Verano fits me a lot better than the traveller and the eye cup extension is just right. Plus I like the feel of the armor better. The Verano is more tactile nad the Traveller is somewhat smoother.

The Verano is better..... As Steve said... "Verano fits me a lot better than the traveller and the eye cup extension is just right. Plus I like the feel of the armor better. The Verano is more tactile nad the Traveller is somewhat smoother."

Spot on there.... In addition the Traveler has much more glare...much more. It was a great binocular when it came out but the Verano has replaced it I feel pretty easily. Also the Traveler has a noticeable smaller sweet spot that is pretty evident as you view thru it....Like a lot of these cheaper binoculars, you can almost see a blur around the sweet spot as you view. Not really something one might notice until you compare it to other more expensive binoculars and from that point on, you will always be reminded of it! ... Get the Verano and be happy.

Actually design wise the Verano is a dream for me, exactly what I had in mind - were it not for that horrible Mistral font they used for the "Verano" lettering. How can they ruin a great design with a typographic disaster like that?

Was just looking / using the Verano's today and I thought of the 'Verano' lettering and it didn't bother me at all...a person's hands cover it up anyhow.

It will not be a deal breaker in the end, but I find it just a sad example of how little importance many companies put into those (very easy to make right) details . People admire Apple and Mac products but overlook how much emphasis Steve Jobs put on typography and design. Function is one thing, but aesthetics matter too. Sure, internal values are most important, but with things that accompany me through my whole life and that I touch everyday, I want them to be aesthetically pleasing. It is the same with my wife;-)

Actually design wise the Verano is a dream for me, exactly what I had in mind - were it not for that horrible Mistral font they used for the "Verano" lettering. How can they ruin a great design with a typographic disaster like that?

Really? You would forgo a great binocular because of an external factor that cannot be seen when you looking through them.

Really? You would forgo a great binocular because of an external factor that cannot be seen when you looking through them.
For me , yes. Not the Veranos though. But I find Porros ugly, so won’t bird /use them. I also find Nikon bins ugly, other than MHG. Also some cheap looking bins with cheap body armor turn me off. So yes, I too won’t get a bin if the looks go against my taste.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back