• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of NIkon HG "Sample" (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the review. You state that you hope the price will "remain between 1000 and 1200Eur". The good news is that the price at some EU retailers is already down to 740Eur for the 8x42. A question: I think you say that the eyecups are removable, can you please confirm. Also can they be interchanged with those of the EDG?///Peter.

Hi from Italy, I published on binomania a first review of the Nikon Monarch HG that my colllaborator Piero Pignata has tried in these weeks.
Piero joined on BF so i think that he will be able to answer your questions.
Kind Regards
Piergiovanni

http://www.binomania.it/nikon-monarch-hg-8-e-10x42-sfida-ai-top/

Nice review, thanks,
google translate is not very good att Italian,
but as I understand,
you saw very little CA or ghosting/flare in the bins?
And they were overall not that far from the EDG in optics?

Did you see if there were any truncated prisms?

Hi from Italy, I published on binomania a first review of the Nikon Monarch HG that my colllaborator Piero Pignata has tried in these weeks.
Piero joined on BF so i think that he will be able to answer your questions.
Kind Regards
Piergiovanni

http://www.binomania.it/nikon-monarch-hg-8-e-10x42-sfida-ai-top/

Pier:

Thanks for posting the review, I hope you don't mind I abbreviate your
name. Well done, and I enjoy the translation.

This is the first review I have found, and the new binocular sounds like
a good addition to the Nikon lineup. A very wide FOV, and with flat field
optics is a game changer, and not only in this price range.

Some new innovations as in removable objective covers, convertible
to just a rubber bumper.
New scratch resistant coatings, that is also a first for Nikon.

Jerry

Pier:

Thanks for posting the review, I hope you don't mind I abbreviate your
name. Well done, and I enjoy the translation.

This is the first review I have found, and the new binocular sounds like
a good addition to the Nikon lineup. A very wide FOV, and with flat field
optics is a game changer, and not only in this price range.

Some new innovations as in removable objective covers, convertible
to just a rubber bumper.
New scratch resistant coatings, that is also a first for Nikon.

Jerry

Hi, thanks for the comments. Piero has written the article, unfortunately i am not able to use the new HG. I hope that Piero will answer you.
Pier

hi folks, thanks for having accepted me in your forum. I try to answer sintetically all your questions and doubts above. Please, sorry for my English.
1) eyecup are NOT removable, bur really I don't know if you can apply the EDG eyecup with the lateral wing; I try and I'll tell you; at best of my knowledge it's only possible interchange objective cover with rubber ring as a protection if you don't like hanging covers.
2) I've not notice any truncaated prisms nor ghosting/flares.
3) no problems with glasses (I've tried with Rayban sunglasses) even if the eyerelief it's little bit less than EDG (less than 1 mm respected EDG)
4) I confirm that optical performances are very near to EDG (but EDG has still something more); anyway in 2-3 weeks you'll can read a brief report on principal differences.

In my personal opinion Nikon had tried to cover the gap-price between monarch 7 and EDG but has worked too well! (the old HG will be discontinued)

Last edited:
hi folks, thanks for having accepted me in your forum. I try to answer sintetically all your questions and doubts above. Please, sorry for my English.
1) eyecup are NOT removable, bur really I don't know if you can apply the EDG eyecup with the lateral wing; I try and I'll tell you; at best of my knowledge it's only possible interchange objective cover with rubber ring as a protection if you don't like hanging covers.
2) I've not notice any truncaated prisms nor ghosting/flares.
3) no problems with glasses (I've tried with Rayban sunglasses) even if the eyerelief it's little bit less than EDG (less than 1 mm respected EDG)
4) I confirm that optical performances are very near to EDG (but EDG has still something more); anyway in 2-3 weeks you'll can read a brief report on principal differences.

In my personal opinion Nikon had tried to cover the gap-price between monarch 7 and EDG but has worked too well! (the old HG will be discontinued)

Ok, thanks.
The MHG:s seem promising,
considering the low weight.

Piero. How did the Nikon MHG compare to the EDG in brightness? Brighter or not as bright? Also, does anybody know if the Nikon MHG's are available in the US yet? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Piero,

Thank you for the report. It is very interesting and informative.

My question about the removable eyecups concerned this statement in the description: "conchigle estraibili a scatto in tre posizioni." When I requested a google translation of it I got: "conchigle removable (or extractable) snap in three positions."

Is "conchigle" the Italian word for eyecups?

Graci,

Bob

Does the EDG have $1500 worth of something more ?

My guess is that their price difference with the EDGs will be in the neighborhood of $1000 and they will cost about $200-$300 more than the Conquests and the Trinovids (which the HGs seem to have been designed to compete with) because of their wider and flatter FOVs.

The FOVs of the HGs are wider than the EDGs but I will be surprised if the edges of their view are as good or that they will handle glare as well as the EDG does. And then there is the report of "Rolling Ball" on Piero's review.

Eye relief is also longer on the EDGs; 18mm to 17mm for the 10x42 and 19.3mm to 17.8mm for the 8x42, which makes for more comfortable viewing.

Is it possible that they may have different eye pieces? Or that the same eye pieces are used for both and Nikon has "tweaked" them to accommodate a wider FOV for the HGs? Just musing here.:smoke:

Bob

Last edited:
My guess is that their price difference with the EDGs will be in the neighborhood of $1000 and they will cost about $200-$300 more than the Conquests and the Trinovids (which the HGs seem to have been designed to compete with) because of their wider and flatter FOVs.
Bob

In one of the other threads, Kestrel1 posted a link to a German vendor selling the Monarch HG 8X42 for 740 Euro, which includes the 19% VAT tax.

Here is the post .....

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3443342&postcount=43

Here is a link to the sellers Monarch page. Click on the "Monarch" button in the left margin, then scroll down for the new Monarch HG.

http://www.das-fernglashaus.de/Nikon1P.htm

Here is what it shows after running it through Bing translator .....

1 Monarch HG Price.jpg

Backing out the 19% VAT tax gives 622 Euro. Using Google Convert, that comes to just under $700 before shipping to the US.

I wonder if this seller will sell to a USA customer without the VAT tax?

As of now, Nikon USA does not even mention the new HG but I would think they will import it eventually. It will be interesting to see if they offer it at the equivalent European price or if they will sell it at a higher markup. If it is to high, then it may make more sense for US buyers to get it out of Europe despite that lack of a US warranty. Buying a used USA copy is probably not a better option because the last I checked, Nikon USA only honors their warranty to the original buyer.

If you order it from outside the the EU, as you are, they will not charge you that stupid VAT. For about $ 1000
US dollars this does sound like the best deal, until they start selling on this side of the pond.

Dave

If you order it from outside the the EU, as you are, they will not charge you that stupid VAT. For about $ 1000
US dollars this does sound like the best deal, until they start selling on this side of the pond.

Dave

Dave:

Did you notice, this is US dollars, not CA looney.

The US dollar is the best exchange rate.

Jerry

If they cost more than the Conquest, they will flop - better features or no. Nikon, remember the EDG?

James:

Now why are you down on this new model, it is not even out yet ?

Do you own any Nikon optics or cameras, they seem to know a lot
about both ?

Tell us more.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back