• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

revivingKensArt (4 Viewers)

I've been investigating ballpoin pens ever since their endorsement by Paschalis and Alan. But the Bic orange version isn't available in the US so I tried this 537R pen. It was nice to be using something that moved so quickly over the paper.

Based on a photo from our recent trip to Cape May: a White-rumped Sandpiper surrounded by Least Sandpipers.

Next step is to try this in the field.

Attachments

• wRLeastSandpipersInk091211.jpg
    wRLeastSandpipersInk091211.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 45
I've been investigating ballpoin pens ever since their endorsement by Paschalis and Alan. But the Bic orange version isn't available in the US so I tried this 537R pen. It was nice to be using something that moved so quickly over the paper.

Based on a photo from our recent trip to Cape May: a White-rumped Sandpiper surrounded by Least Sandpipers.

Next step is to try this in the field.

that is nice- the un-drawn-on clean water in the background is a really important part of it

cheapo ballpoints somehow do seem to work best- the ink is slightly sticky and allows a faded-out line

cheapo ballpoints somehow do seem to work best- the ink is slightly sticky and allows a faded-out line

Thanks Ed, Tim. Almost as soon as I posted the message Ed I remembered your work in ballpoint pen, so sorry for not mentioning you also as an inspiration.

I really do like the way it moves so fluidly across the surface.

Picked up some acrylics today. I've deliberately avoided painting in oil or acrylic since I started painting naturalistically, mainly because I don't have a separate studio as I did for years when I did paint with them. But I finally decided I have to try something small. So one of these days.............Let's hope I haven't forgotten everything I used to know.

Hmm, some nice work here, Ken. I had to have a double-take with the first least sand - thought it was a photo at first, testimony to how well you've captured the light.
Great little biro drawing that's full of life. As I slowly realise there are other things rather than a 2B pencil you can use, then this is something else, and cheap, for me to try. I can't see one moving acrosss the paper faster than a soft lead, though. But I stand to be corrected!

Russ

Well one of these days I'll put those new acrylic paints and canvas to use. But for now I'm taken with doing shorebirds in pen and ink.

Black Skimmers are such striking birds. Here's one, with a Least Sandpiper hiding in the reeds at shore's edge. The second drawing a Pectoral Sandpiper. I should have stretched out his neck a bit more than I did.

Attachments

• blackSkimmerInk091411.jpg
    blackSkimmerInk091411.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 41
  • pectoralSandInk091411.jpg
    pectoralSandInk091411.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 42
I wanted to a quick illustration to go along with a blog post about a new 42 page checklist of local birds that a local birder wrote. It's a great checklist with notes on each species.

I finally decided on a small 5x8 inch watercolor of my favorite woodpecker, the Plieated. This is from a photo I took this spring. I also showed a field sketch from that day back in May.

The odd background is the same one that was in my Wood Duck lino: a local stream with a shelf of rock that is visible through it.

Not really much but something to add to the collection of Pileateds that have been shown here.

Attachments

• pileatedAtWissahickon091611.jpg
    pileatedAtWissahickon091611.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 43
Catching up after a week-long trip to the Oregon coast. Great pieces here, Ken! I like all of them...the Pileated draws me in because I love that species, and they are so often hammering away on a fallen log or close to the ground as yours is here. They seem to get fairly oblivious to nearby people when they are so occupied.

John, Gaby, thanks for your comments. Those Pileateds are surprising aren't they John? I remember when I was following a Palm Warbler with my binoculars as it flew about 3 feet off the ground. Then when it landed there was a Pileated! I was in shock. It was the first time I realized how much time they spend on the ground. I've slowly learned when I've heard them excavating wood to look down as well as up.

It has been at least 20 years since I've done an oil or acrylic painting though that's what I used to spend most of my time on. So now I have some acrylics and a small stretched canvas and I'm taking forever trying to figure out what the first painting will be. This Kildeer along a wetlands pond at Morris Arboretum may be the first subject. At least that's what I was thinking about when I did this pen and ink this morning.

Attachments

• kildeerMorrisInk091911.jpg
    kildeerMorrisInk091911.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 52
The Pec sand is very well portrayed, Ken. A nice sense of movement and it's all done with some very crisp lines. Bold and dynamic too. I'm slowly learning that the old adage 'less is more' is even more pertinent when working in black and white.

Regards

Russ

Just been admiring some of your recent pen drawings Ken....loved the sense of light on that Pectoral Sandpiper...[even if you weren't happy about the birds neck]..;)

ps...is it just me or is there an amazing amount of activity on this art forum lately....[it's hard to keep up with all the threads as they're up and down like yo-yo's]....:smoke:

All good tho....:t:

ps...is it just me or is there an amazing amount of activity on this art forum lately....[it's hard to keep up with all the threads as they're up and down like yo-yo's]....:smoke:

Yes, user it is like watching a yo-yo competition. The thread is up, now coming around the corner it's down, now up again as we head toward the stretch.......

There must be something good about that. Someone was commenting recently about how at one time there was almost no movement in the threads.

Thanks for all your comments on the ink drawings. I had thought I might make my first acrylic painting in 20 years out of that last kildeer but then I found out I'd be in a group show in about 10 days at an artist's coop around the corner that I just joined. So I'm detouring to watercolor for some quick entries for it.

Another kildeer, about 7x10 inches.

Attachments

• kildeerAtMorrisWC092011.jpg
    kildeerAtMorrisWC092011.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 44
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back