• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reykjavik in April (1 Viewer)

pprest00

Canada
Hi there, I will be visiting Reykjavik very briefly (one day at the beginning of April and one mid April) but I am interested in maximizing my birding experience while there. In particular I am interested in finding some ptarmigan, gyrfalcon, gannets, and puffins if possible. I don't have time to go anywhere beyond basically Reykjavik and Keflavik and won't be renting a car, so any advice on places accessible by foot or bus would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hi there! Gyrfalcon difficult to find in my opinion. Maybe you should opt for a guide. I saw one in march in Husavik 2 years ago. I can send you a pdf map, maybe it helps.

Attachments

• fuglabaeklingur_-_enska_1.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
Have a look at my report on vacation forum on here Copy and paste this into the Birdforum search engine:

A 14 night Cruise from Southampton to Norway and Iceland, 22/6/23 to 6/7/23​

Videy Island is a top birdwatching spot in Reykjavik. Its easy to reach from the cruise terminal area by ferry. I believe another ferry goes there from the city centre.
Puffin should be found along the coast between Reykjavik and Keflavik. I've only seen them as the ship sails out between the two but any headland area along that stretch of the coast should give you good views of Puffin. On our first sail out from here a few years prior I saw scores of Gannet along here but only one on this trip. It may have had something to do with the time of the year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back