• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Advice on 2013 Trip (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone: I've just read these posts because my husband and I, at very short notice, have an opportunity to bird in Australia for the first time Very excited, etc. but too little time to research and plan, so am hoping to get more advice from the locals! We arrive either Oct. 1 or 2, and leave on Oct. 23. We fly into Sydney. Unfortunately, no pelagics for us, given our schedule. We have Cairns (Kingfisher Lodge, Cassowary House) and Brisbane (Lamington) on our schedule, and Sydney environs (Royal NP). Have noted other locations mentioned here. Questions: Is Dharug NP worth the drive and time? Is it feasible to drive to Deniliquin from Sydney? We're thinking of stopping to bird in areas west and south of Sydney enroute. Or more efficient to fly to Melbourne and drive to Deniliquin? Can we try for the Plainswanderer on our own, or do we need a guide? Same question for other locations -- as firstimers to Australia, but fairly experienced birders, should we hire guides? Budget is an issue as Australia is amazingly expensive (for us North Americans, at least). Thanks in advance for advice, suggestions.

Questions: Is Dharug NP worth the drive and time? Is it feasible to drive to Deniliquin from Sydney? We're thinking of stopping to bird in areas west and south of Sydney enroute. Or more efficient to fly to Melbourne and drive to Deniliquin? Can we try for the Plainswanderer on our own, or do we need a guide? Same question for other locations -- as firstimers to Australia, but fairly experienced birders, should we hire guides? Budget is an issue as Australia is amazingly expensive (for us North Americans, at least). Thanks in advance for advice, suggestions.
Can't comment on Dharug; Deniliquin is quite a drive from Sydney; how long were you planning on spending getting there and back? It certainly can't be done in a day.

Plains Wanderers are nocturnal, uncommon and can be difficult to find. Despite being on a budget and dealing with (I would agree) fearsome prices here, you might nonetheless want to try for a guide (to vastly improve your chances of seeing it and other goodies) here: http://philipmaher.com

As for Cairns, you can hire yours truly for the fearsome price of, well nothing.

If you hire a car, we can tour the surrounding area and I am more than happy to help you ID the local specialties and make sure you get to the right areas. Professional guides might help you 'clean up', but considering I come cheap (a couple of beers), you could do worse.... Anyway, something to think about.

I'm not a professional guide as you may gather and can be stupidly busy with work (I'm a mental health nurse), but should be able to fit around that. I've helped out a number of BF members over the years this way. B :)

EDIT: As said before, you don't have to stay at Cassowary House to see Cassowaries. ;)

Last edited:
Hi Chowchilla --

Thanks for your reply and offer!

I've emailed Phil Maher's company to see if we can join a 1 day-tour to look for the Plains Wanderer and other birds in Deniliquin.

We're planning to have about 5 days to work our way from Sydney to Deniliquin. Will that be sufficient?

For Cairns, we're staying at Kingfisher Lodge (2 nights) and Cassowary House (3 nights), from Oct. 10-15, and will have a rental car, so would love to have you with us!!! Please pm me and we can work out details? Thanks!

Hi Chowchilla --

I've emailed Phil Maher's company to see if we can join a 1 day-tour to look for the Plains Wanderer and other birds in Deniliquin.

We're planning to have about 5 days to work our way from Sydney to Deniliquin. Will that be sufficient?

For Cairns, we're staying at Kingfisher Lodge (2 nights) and Cassowary House (3 nights), from Oct. 10-15, and will have a rental car, so would love to have you with us!!! Please pm me and we can work out details? Thanks!
No worries, happy to help.

It's about 800km to Deniliquin from Sydney so plenty of time to get there in five days. Barren Grounds just south of Woolongong might be an idea for a stopover. No doubt there's plenty of other good places en route that locals could regale you with; I'm not all that familiar with the area.

Kingfisher Lodge and Cassowary House are not cheap to stay at, so I might not be able to join you for those legs, but any remaining time you have here, I'm happy to help out. Alternatively, seeing as CH is just up the road from me, you could base yourself there and we could meet up for a day or two if you were prepared to pick me up en route to wherever you want to go.

Can't be more specific with info right now as I'm not sure what's happening with work on those days as yet, but will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Depending on what birds you want, I'd recommend going via. Lake Cargelligo and the adjacent Round Hill Nature Reserve. Some great inland birds to be seen there! Also Gum Swamp at Forbes is great for waterbirds, and Capertee Valley is a good idea if you want (you could easily include all of them in 5 days from Sydney to Deniliquin). Here's my blog report from last year which includes Forbes and Round Hill (http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/winter-in-nsw-mallee.html)

Plains Wanderer is very difficult by yourself - definitely try to get a guide. Phillip Maher doesn't always run his trips, but try Simon Starr (http://www.firetailbirdwatchingtours.com/), who I've heard is very good.

In regards to Dharug, it's probably not worth it (depending on what birds you'd like to see). You'd see a much larger variety by working the Hawkesbury area (ie: Pitt Town Lagoon, Richmond Turf Farms, Mitchell Park and Scheyville National Park).

Depending on the dates, I'd be happy to join you around Sydney and help you (as Chowchilla, I'm happy to do it for free ;) ) - in a half-day around the Hawkesbury I'd expect a list of about 80 species (100 on a good day).

PM me if you'd like any more help!

Thanks, Chowchilla! For sure, we can pick you up from CH on one of the days we're there, and that's convenient for you. We're staying in the cottage (with self-catering) to keep costs down, so maybe you can come and eat with us and have some beers! So, will keep checking in with you.

We now have fewer days to drive from Sydney to Deni because of scheduling with Philip Maher. We have 3 full days to get to Deni, and plan to stop in Royal NP, Barren Grounds, Canberra vicinity (sites?), and Chiltern State Forest. Advice, suggestions from local experts for birding sites, and places to overnight are most welcome!!!

Hi Joshua-B:

Thanks for your post and recommendations.

As noted in my previous post, we have fewer days for the drive to Deni.

Also, we now have some extra time for birding the Melbourne area after Deni as we have to return the rental car in Melbourne.

Any suggestions for where's best for a couple of days in the Melbourne area, and where to overnight?

Thanks.

We now have fewer days to drive from Sydney to Deni because of scheduling with Philip Maher. We have 3 full days to get to Deni, and plan to stop in Royal NP, Barren Grounds, Canberra vicinity (sites?), and Chiltern State Forest. Advice, suggestions from local experts for birding sites, and places to overnight are most welcome!!!

Chowch will look after you! For Barren Grounds, contact the Jamberoo Pub (they have additional apartment accommdation) in Jamberoo. Thousands of Long-billed Corellas roost there, and it's only 12km from Barren Grounds. The Minimurra (under half way to Barren Grounds) forest reserve has excellent walkways.
MJB

Thanks, Chowchilla! For sure, we can pick you up from CH on one of the days we're there, and that's convenient for you. We're staying in the cottage (with self-catering) to keep costs down, so maybe you can come and eat with us and have some beers! So, will keep checking in with you.

No worries; will give you more info on my availability when I have it.

No worries; will give you more info on my availability when I have it.

Further to Chowch's post, re Canberra accommodation, there's a cabin site, quite a large one, in Canberra almost next to the Botanic Gardens (off Clunies Ross Street), and which can be very good for birds. Everywhere in Canberra is quite a long way from everywhere else, because there is so much open space, which means that there are many habitat 'islands'.

The Complete Guide to Finding the Birds of Australia, Second Edition, by Richard Thomas, Sarah Thomas, David Andrew and Alan McBride gives useful directions to some nearby bird sites.
MJB

Last edited:
Hi --

We are booked with Philip Maher for a day and evening tour on Saturday, October 6. Hope there is another birder or two to share costs (AUD570 for the full day and evening night spotting to look for the Plains Wanderer). If interested, please email Patricia Maher([email protected]).

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Hi -- have another question. We'd planned to go to Phillip Island for the Penguin Parade, but have read that it's VERY crowded, noisy, and commercialized. Doesn't sound an appealing way to observe the penguins. Any other options for penguins in the Melbourne area? Had read about St. Kilda but not much information as to where, what, and how. We'll also be in New Zealand (north of Auckland) for a a few days at the end of October. Are there penguins there, and will that be a better place to try for them? Thanks in advance for any input!

Hi -- have another question. We'd planned to go to Phillip Island for the Penguin Parade, but have read that it's VERY crowded, noisy, and commercialized. Doesn't sound an appealing way to observe the penguins. Any other options for penguins in the Melbourne area? Had read about St. Kilda but not much information as to where, what, and how. We'll also be in New Zealand (north of Auckland) for a a few days at the end of October. Are there penguins there, and will that be a better place to try for them? Thanks in advance for any input!
I've been to the penguin parade and enjoyed it. When I was there a few years back you could pay extra and sit in a much quieter area; not noisy at all. you'll see the penguins easily anyway because they're all around you amongst the dunes as you go along the boardwalks.

You're not allowed to take pics of the birds presumably to avoid alarming them. Having said that, I was quite surprised at how close they come; they wander past within inches sometimes and don't seem perturbed by all the people.

for St. Kilda, just go to the beach and walk all the way out to the end of the pier (any of the shop owners there, e.g. the ice-cream shop was where I asked, will be able to tell you if you need directions once there). At the end of the pier is a restaurant and past that is a breakwater made up of a big jumble of boulders. The penguins nest/roost amongst the boulders and you can usually find at least some in there during the day. There's some benches to sit and wait for evening too.

There are also Australian water rats living here which are well worth looking out for at dusk. Look for their feeding sites on the tops of the boulders: they eat starfish and leave the remains on the rocks looking like splayed orange rinds. At dusk you can watch them diving for food.

Hi Chowchilla --

So did you make it to Cairns in the end? You never got in touch...

Little bit of local knowledge for anyone venturing to Cairns...there used to be a wild Saltwater Croc living close to the Holloway's Beach boat ramp, often saw her/him sunning themselves on the mudbank opposite the ramp at low tide.
Only 5 minutes from Cairns airport so worth a quick look if you are passing...my husband once had occasion to warn a group of young German backpackers who were cooling off in the water there one day!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back