• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Lesvos (1 Viewer)

davidg

I'm off for a family holiday to Lesvos in a couple of days, I was there in August last year which was just too late for the likes of Masked Shrike, Olive-tree Warbler and Cinereous Bunting so these are on my most wanted list this year. I understand the West River at Skala Kalloni is good for the first 2 but is there anywhere within cycling distance of Skala that is good for Cinereous?

Reading the reports of this spring in Lesvos I gather there is now a hide by the salt pans, whereabouts is it, please, and is it permanently open?

Many thanks for any help,

David

Try the lower Potamia valley for Masked Shrike & Olive-tree warbler as well as the Olive plantations downstream of the Kalloni-Mytiline bridge over the East River (both easily reachable from S.K by pushbike).

Cinereous Bunting will be a real struggle -try the small chapel on the hill above the road to the west of the lower Potamia valley but I suspect that they will have left the upland areas by now in which case any pool of water that is attracting thirsty passerines might pull one in.
Best of luck!

Directions to the hide: take the Mytelini road out of Kalloni. Pass the turn-off to the main saltpans on your right. After a short time there's a pull-off on your right and the hide is there, looking out over an inlet and saltpans. You will see the hide before you reach it - it's quite a splended construction and it was unlocked each time we passed. It may be locked at night - I'm not sure. (If you reach the turnoff to Achlederi you've gone too far!)

I agree with Steve G about the bunting.

Sandra

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back