• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Northern Thailand (2 Viewers)

ianreid

Hi all,

As a result of other plans falling through, I find myself planning a possible trip with a friend to Thailand for next year, probably the first two weeks of March. We started with the thought that we would cover Central and Northern sites. Likely locations are Pak Thale (SBSP for my friend), Kaeng Krachan and Khao Yai near Bangkok, and Doi Inthanon and Doi Chang Dao in the north. We have a limit of two weeks, and I am a little bit concerned that this tries to cover too much ground in the time available. I'd value people's opinion on that.

I also have some more specific questions:

1. Doi Lang appears to be a site that more people are going to, presumably because in the last two years there have been good chances for Rusty-naped Pitta and Spot-breasted Laughingthrush at feeding stations. What is the latest that the birds are regular, and would early March miss the action?

2. How long would we need to do justice to Doi Inthanon and Doi Chang Dao? We have a time budget of 2 full days at each with a travel day between at present, but I worry a bit that this is too little time.

3. What options exist for hiring guides in these northern sites? Though the independent travel is attractive in many respects, I am concerned both about missing good birds though lack of local knowledge, and perhaps even more importantly, not being able to find key sites or trails, or simply wasting time doing so. We *may* end up hiring someone for the duration, but that I expect would be quite a bit more expensive than using locals, so I want to consider the local option first.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers, Ian

I can't add much, but off the top of my head:
I'd skip Khao Yai, since Kaeng Krachan should be awesome at that time of year and I doubt you'll get anything particularly exciting and different at Khao Yai. If you stay at Baan Maka they can organise a local guide for you (small surcharge, but reasonable and a great guide). I've never bothered to get guides in the other places, though.

I love Doi Inthanon more than any other site and usually spend 5 days or so there, but that's me. Two full days there is probably enough, but not if you mean you'll arrive one morning and leave the following evening.

Thanks Graeme,

I can't add much, but off the top of my head:
I'd skip Khao Yai, since Kaeng Krachan should be awesome at that time of year and I doubt you'll get anything particularly exciting and different at Khao Yai.

Key birds we would target at Khao Yai that I thought were not readily available at Kaeng Krachan would be Eared Pitta, Coral-billed Ground-cuckoo, Siamese Fireback and Slaty-backed Forktail.

I love Doi Inthanon more than any other site and usually spend 5 days or so there, but that's me. Two full days there is probably enough, but not if you mean you'll arrive one morning and leave the following evening.
Our tentative itinerary allows 2 full days plus evening arrival and morning departure, so your info is reassuring, though it's tempting to work out if we can add another day here.

Any ideas about guides for Doi Inthanon?

Cheers, Ian

Regarding local guides there are some listed on BirdingPal

Will be in Thailand for the whole of February 2014, starting in the north, visiting Doi Lang, happy to mail you sightings..DM your email.

Of interest one SBS back at Khok Kham today!

One BF member - MarieB - may have connections with some guides in ChiangMai area - you could try contacting her. (There may be some other threads in this subforum with info too.) We spent two days at Doi Inthanon, and saw a lot with a guide, though most Thai birds were new for me, so I was quite happy. I guess with good organization, you could find most likely birds there in that time.

I've seen Eared Pitta in KK, but not the others though they may be present (there's a lot I haven't seen). Khao Yai is reputedly the best place for Coral-billed, we saw one on the way up to Khao Kiew in Khao Yai (after years of seeing nothing on a stretch of road with an odd bird sign, there was one by the roadside looking much like the sign).

Hi -- my husband and I are also planning to bird in Northern Thailand in January or February 2014. We've birded Doi Inthanon independently in 2006, but missed many birds because of lack of knowledge and inexperience with the area. We'd like to hire a local guide for a day or two, and also would like to go to other sites, including Doi Chiang Dao, ang Khang, and Chiang Rai.
Would appreciate any advice as to:
Local guides
How to do it (we rented a car last time but missed several sites enroute to Doi Inthanon because of lack of good maps and directions) and
Places to stay?
Also, WildBirdEco has an 8-day tour for these areas for 45,900 THB each, for 2-persons. Is this a good option? It's cheaper if there are more people.
Thanks.

Your itinerary sounds good to me. With two weeks time you can easily cover all sites you mentioned. Thailand has 4 zoologicals and Kangkrachan and KaoYai are different. For Kangkrachan, it's the only place you can get north and south birds all together. For Kaoyai you will get eastern birds.

I would recommend you go Pak Talay for 1 whole day and then spend 2-3 days at Kangkrachan. Then 2-3 days at Kaoyai. Then the rest of the trip is for the north (Doi Inthanon, Doi Chiang Dao and Doi Lang)

Traveling by yourself is possible. Rent a car and well-prepared for info and maps and you should be fine. ^_^ I would not recommend public transportation for trip like this. If you study info well enough you should not miss any hot spots. Of course it would be much easier if you hire a local guide and I know some freelances which I will send you their contact via PM.

Good luck and have fun in Thailand ^_^

Last edited:
I live in Chiang Mai and go to Doi Inthanon many times a year for birding. I always use Mr Boon. I have found a great Doi Inthanon bird list with some bird videos taken of the birds at the park.

Next month I will be going with Mr Boon to Chiang Sean Thailand for water birding along the Mekong river and lake Chiang Sean. Mr Boon went last year several times and told me it is a must for migrating water birds and I just didn't have the time.

I can't wait.

Hi -- Alas, we cannot go to Northern Thailand in January/February! But are looking at travels to SE Asia in June/July. Is it worthwhile to try Northern Thailand then, or is the weather so bad for birding in June/July that it would be a waste of time and money? Thanks!

Who's Mr. Boon and contact

I live in Chiang Mai and go to Doi Inthanon many times a year for birding. I always use Mr Boon. I have found a great Doi Inthanon bird list with some bird videos taken of the birds at the park.

Next month I will be going with Mr Boon to Chiang Sean Thailand for water birding along the Mekong river and lake Chiang Sean. Mr Boon went last year several times and told me it is a must for migrating water birds and I just didn't have the time.

I can't wait.

Hi -- Who is Mr. Boon, and do you have contact information for him? We are trying to plan a Northern Thailand trip and would like to have a local guide. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back