• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rhodopes in August (1 Viewer)

If Bulgaria is anything like the UK, then August is not the best birding month. Nevertheless, I'll be in Pamporovo for the first 2 weeks of August (I know, the skiing's rubbish then too!). Anyone got any tips, what could I reasonably see? My birding will be limited as it's a family holiday, but I have heard there's an eagle round every corner in the Rhodopes.

Nazdrave

luckypants

Hi There.

We went to Bansko in June..It was very quiet that time of year, which was fine with us. However a different place in the winter by the sounds of it.

Before we went I organised two days out with Neophron. They was very helpful and we saw some good birds.

If you can get away for a day, I recomend you get in touch with them, they might be able to do something with you..They even picked us up from our hotel.

Contact [email protected]

Hope this helps.

Enjoy Bulgaria, We had a great time.

Ian T

Thanks very much Ian, if I'm allowed I might do that! I've been to Pamporovo in the winter for the skiing in the past, it's a lovely part of the world and we've got to know one or two of the locals. In my mind's eye I'm lying in a flower filled meadow, looking up at an assortment of eagles overhead, a nice bottle of red, and the kids behaving themselves. Well, the drink bit should come true at least!

I'll post a report when I get back.

Enjoy Ya Two Weeks...I Look forward to reading your Report.

That Red wine Sure Sounds Good :eek:))

I'm sure you will see some good birds durring your two weeks.

Well, I had a wonderful time in Bulgaria, the friends we visited us treated us royally, the weather and scenery was glorious, and our daughters, aged 3 and 5, were spoiled rotten. However, lessons learnt. If you want to see some specatcular birds in one of the best birding countries in Europe, don't go in August, and don't go with a 3 and 5 year old in tow. Having said that, I was lucky enough, without doing any real birding, to see some new ones for me. Not rare or unusual, but for a very casual buirder like me a pleasure to see. We saw red backed shrikes everywhere, very obliging, and a bird I've always wanted to see. Also loads of black redstarts, which I have seen before, but never so many. Red rumped swallows and crag martins were plentiful, with a pair of Crag martins always swooping and reeling around our apartment. A couple of black storks were seen at distance, and I managed to watch a cirl bunting for a while. We saw a number of raptors high in the sky, or just dipping behind the trees, but apart from a couple of peregrines, a buzzrad and a kestrel, frustratingly no positive IDs. Not surprising really, I struggle to separate a buzzard from a golden eagle, however I'm sure I saw loads of lesser spotted eagles, bonellis etc!

Anyway, had a great time, and when the kids are a little older (and quieter!) we'll be back for a spring visit.

Nazdrave

Luckypants

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back