• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Richmond Bank, River Mersey (1 Viewer)

I have seen from numerous bird reports that Richmond Bank near Warrington on the River Mersey is a good site for white winged gulls, especially at this time of year.
I have access details to the site. But please can anyone advise if there is an optimum state of the tide to visit? I wouldn't want to visit and find the mud flats were covered and there were no gulls present!

Grateful for any information.
Happy birding to all in 2014.

Wirral Rover

Last edited:
Hello,

You've hit the nail bang on the head! The area is tidal and as soon as the bank is covered, there will not be a single gull visible on the river, they'll all be over the tip. Light condtions also play a part here, cloudy days with flat lighting are the best, in bright sunshine, half the gulls will be impossible to scan through due to reflection off the mud and looking directly into the sun.

There are also two more possibilities.

Moore Nature Reserve has 2 pools that are used by the gulls, although, there is a greater concentration and much less disturbance on the bank. Frustratingly, gulls on the pools in the nature reserve would often spook the second you got onto something interesing.

Also, a less well known place is on the River Mersey near Runcorn, just before the visitor centre at Wigg Island. I used to work in Runcorn and when it was light enough again in the evenings, and if the tide was down I would frequently go here after work as there was a massive pre roost build up of gulls. The numbers were huge, but, the distance could also be huge, normally thousands too far away to look through properly, unless for something obvious like a large, biscuit coloured Glaucous Gull for example!! Saying that, I did manage to see several Glaucous, Icelands, Med Gulls and one Kumlien's Gull here too. All birds that had previously been recorded at Richmond Bank and Moore Nature reserve.

Bonne chance!

Jonathan

One more very important point that I forgot completely.

When the tip is not working, there is a corresponding drop in gull numbers and they do know when it is not working, excepting bank holidays :)

If you are planning to go on a weekend, it has to be Saturday morning as the tip shuts at midday. As soon as it shuts, the gulls will still be loafing on the bank, but, they also start to drift away down river. Also, as there is no disturbance up on the tip, any gulls that are up there, will stay up there longer, out of sight, as there is nothing to push them off.

On Sundays, there will still be gulls there, but way less than half of normal numbers.

Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for your helpful comments and advice. I had heard that weekends can be less productive, but unfortunately it is not easy for me to get there mid-week - work gets in the way!
If the tide is right out at Richmond Bank, will the gulls be dispersed further (too far) away again? Would say 2-3 hours ahead of high tide be about right?
Now, where's my Liverpool tide timetable?!
I will let you know how I get on.
Cheers
Hugh

Hello,

I always used to go Saturday mornings and there were usually thousands of gulls there so no problem.

You just have to make sure the tide is down Saturday am and bingo you're laughing. The river is not so wide at Richmond Bank so it doesn't matter if the tide is right out or not, it's always the same distance to the gulls. The more time you can have there before the tip closes at midday the better. If you can be there between say 9am and 12 midday with the bank totally uncovered all this time then that is your best bet.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back