• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rick Young Binocular Harness/strap (1 Viewer)

Steve C

As a heads up, I just picked up a couple of very light weight binocular harnesses that I really like. It took only a couple of minutes for these to become my favorite.

They are made by Rick Young Outdoors
http://rickyoungoutdoors.com/ryo-ultra-light-bino-harness/

They are not the usual flat strap affair. They are made of an apparently quite strong stretch bungee sort of cord about 1/8" (4 mm). Before you get the idea that these small diameter round cords will dig in too much, disabuse yourself of the notion, that does not happen. I've been lugging around a new to me Bushnell Rangemaster 7x, 35 that goes 40 oz with objective and ocular covers and this Rick Young invention is much better that the more typical harness such as Nimrod, Vortex, or Leupold. The thing with this is that there is only one point where you need to adjust the strap length, you do not have to adjust each of four sides separately. This took all of 15 seconds to get out of the package, onto the binocular and to have it adjusted to my liking. You can loop your arms through it in a traditional harness manner, or simply use the harness as a typical strap. The whole thing weighs 1.1 oz on my postal scale.

The dig in to your shoulder idea may be so in warm weather where you may be wearing only a single light layer. The whack a standard harness in ease of use wearing layers.

It also makes using something really heavy like my Swift Audubon 8.5x, 44 which weighs 45 oz tolerable. A more typical 20 something oz weight and you hardly feel the thing is there.

If you are looking for a harness, give these a look ;)

I've had one of these for about a year now and it's become the only harness I'll use, for smaller binoculars and on up to a 12x50.

I've had one of these for about a year now and it's become the only harness I'll use, for smaller binoculars and on up to a 12x50.
I just heard about these at the local show for the first time. Like you, it will probably become my harness of choice. If it'll hold up my big Audubon, it ought to be plenty strong enough. I really like the zero effort switch between strap and harness modes. That and the fact it will go into the case with the binocular pretty much hassle free.

I read about this one recently and ordered one as well. I've used it all day today, while birding with the bicycle. It's really great with bicycle, no dangling at all, very comfortable. It also works with a backpack on, but best without. With backpack, the rubber cords needs to be strecked a bit more when raising the bin to the eyes.

I read about it here, this guy explains his self made version, which should be pretty easy to do: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=270399

I'm wondering if this will work ok with my trinovid 8x42.
Are you guys still using this harness? I'm worried about
using it in warmer weather wearing a t-shirt and the straps digging into
my shoulders. I'm also worried that the weight will not be
distributed well putting pressure all in one area of the shoulders.
Do you guys still find it comfortable and do you
experience shoulder/neck pain?
This harness looks simple and very convenient.

Can't answer that one now. It is a long ways from shirt sleeve weather here. I see no indication of them digging in worse than wider straps. They are enough easier to get in and out o,f that I like them for.

As a heads up, I just picked up a couple of very light weight binocular harnesses that I really like. It took only a couple of minutes for these to become my favorite.

They are made by Rick Young Outdoors
http://rickyoungoutdoors.com/ryo-ultra-light-bino-harness/

They are not the usual flat strap affair. They are made of an apparently quite strong stretch bungee sort of cord about 1/8" (4 mm). Before you get the idea that these small diameter round cords will dig in too much, disabuse yourself of the notion, that does not happen. I've been lugging around a new to me Bushnell Rangemaster 7x, 35 that goes 40 oz with objective and ocular covers and this Rick Young invention is much better that the more typical harness such as Nimrod, Vortex, or Leupold. The thing with this is that there is only one point where you need to adjust the strap length, you do not have to adjust each of four sides separately. This took all of 15 seconds to get out of the package, onto the binocular and to have it adjusted to my liking. You can loop your arms through it in a traditional harness manner, or simply use the harness as a typical strap. The whole thing weighs 1.1 oz on my postal scale.

The dig in to your shoulder idea may be so in warm weather where you may be wearing only a single light layer. The whack a standard harness in ease of use wearing layers.

It also makes using something really heavy like my Swift Audubon 8.5x, 44 which weighs 45 oz tolerable. A more typical 20 something oz weight and you hardly feel the thing is there.

If you are looking for a harness, give these a look ;)
I think the thin cord would dig in to your shoulders after awhile versus a wider strap that distributes the weight better and that attachment on the back would bug the heck out of you unless you are wearing a jacket or thick garment. If your binoculars are flopping around riding a horse or something just tuck them into your jacket. Also, I don't like the metal ring attachment at the binocular. I don't like scratching my $2K binoculars. For an aftermarket strap the best one I have found is the Vero Vellini. It is simple and light and small and the rubber material keeps it from slipping and it doesn't scratch your binocular because it uses the standard attachment and it uses real leather and the best part is it is made in Germany. I always adjust mine so they hang about 3/4 of the way down my chest then I cut off the excess strap and melt the edge with a soldering iron so it looks factory. I have it on my Swarovision 8x32 and my car binocular/beater Vanguard Endeavor 8x42 ED. I use the OEM strap on my Swaro 8x20 CL-P. Here it is at Amazon. It is the best strap I have found.

http://www.amazon.com/Vero-Vellini-...&qid=1388980666&sr=8-11&keywords=vero+vellini

Last edited:
Can't answer that one now. It is a long ways from shirt sleeve weather here. I see no indication of them digging in worse than wider straps. They are enough easier to get in and out o,f that I like them for.
I can't believe that. The regular corded binocular straps dig into your shoulders worse than the wider straps so why wouldn't a harness.

In the video the young ladies are not wearing a T-shirt, but the shirt looks light wt. less is more mooreorless;)

The quick adjustment and small size would definitely be a boon in the winter months here. Where the clothing bulk changes quite often with the weather.

A quick FYI, though I have not personally experienced this, I have read many reports of the metal rings wearing the binocular lugs to the point of breaking over time. Not a part of your binocular you want to break. When using these types of connection it may be better to use a plastic zip tie to connect the quick disconnects. Not as fashionable looking but I would rather err on the side of function and be on the safe side. May have to give these a try. No mention of a return policy on their website though, but it is only $20.

All the speculation is fine, from people who haven't tried it! Quite enlightening...

When I use this harness even with only a t-shirt it does not dig into any part of my body nor is the adjustment point a problem in any way. I can barely tell the harness is there, and I like that. This is only my opinion, but based on use, not conjecture.

I did replace the connections for the binocular with snap hooks, to allow use on all my binoculars which utilize the little straps sold I think by Eagle Optics. But that did not change anything having to do with the comfort.

All the speculation is fine, from people who haven't tried it! Quite enlightening...

When I use this harness even with only a t-shirt it does not dig into any part of my body nor is the adjustment point a problem in any way. I can barely tell the harness is there, and I like that. This is only my opinion, but based on use, not conjecture.

I did replace the connections for the binocular with snap hooks, to allow use on all my binoculars which utilize the little straps sold I think by Eagle Optics. But that did not change anything having to do with the comfort.

That's a good idea and what I'll do as well. I've ordered the harness this morning, so
I'll order those accessory hooks from EO today too. Thanks for the input !

I've been using it a couple of times by now, last time a full 9h (that's all the daylight we have at the moment). Huge improvement compared to the neckstrap, I hardly feel it. But no prolonged t-shirt test yet, I am also a bit sceptical, but OsageArchers comment is encouraging.

I'm also slightly bothered about the metal ring attachment. Practical, but it surely polishes off the paint of the binocular lugs and probably indeed wears some of the metal as well with time. I also thought about zip ties, but worry a bit about their stability over time, I don't think this zup ties are made for repeated loading and may get briddle with time. Or do I worry too much?

Could you post a link or picture on the snap hooks and the little straps? Sounds like good solution...

Thanks,

dennis's flaming, preconceived notions aside, this seems like what I'd expect, and have experienced so far. You can't tell you even have a harness on. I have had a 44 oz Swift Audubon 8.5x44 on with just wearing a shirt over a T-shirt with zero issues. If that tank won't cause discomfort I have no idea what would. But it's winter here and T-shirt test await warmer weather.

Could you post a link or picture on the snap hooks and the little straps? Sounds like good solution...

Thanks,

Here is the link to EO: http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocula...x-binocular-harness-strap-connectors-set-of-2

They are out of stock there, so I ordered it at Optics Planet. On their site they show a photo of a binocular harness instead of the connectors, but it is just the connectors (based on price):

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-...lIAEA&ef_id=Ulwp4wAAAAj5YYtn:20140106173222:s

I could really just use the quick connector clips I have at home, but that would make the bin hang down farther due to the connector assembly being longer, so I'll try out these vortex connectors first.

Last edited:
A quick FYI, though I have not personally experienced this, I have read many reports of the metal rings wearing the binocular lugs to the point of breaking over time. Not a part of your binocular you want to break. When using these types of connection it may be better to use a plastic zip tie to connect the quick disconnects. Not as fashionable looking but I would rather err on the side of function and be on the safe side. ..........

I had the same concerns about the metal rings as John when I first saw this harness in another thread. However, I then viewed the video and it looks like there is another attachment available.

Check out the YouTube video at 43 seconds, and look at the binocular on the left and also at one minute and 43 seconds. Looks like it uses a conventional nylon strap attachment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTm-ZEfB5aE&feature=player_embedded

(Click the small box in the bottom right of the video box to view full screen.)

If I were to order one of their harnesses, I would first contact them about this issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back