• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring Necked Parakeets (1 Viewer)

David FG said:
It is indeed - house and gardens and an immense collection of stuffed animals. Quite often get rarities there.

You mean I should have taken my bins along to that wedding reception? :eek!:

You should indeed, Richard D. And lol Andy - some years ago I made myself very unpopular by leaving a wedding reception at Northdown House to have a quick look around in the Park.

David

I had a look at Quex Park - but wasn't sure where I should be looking, so I went to Northdown and bingo! It's the noise that gives them away. I managed to get a clear view of one in a tree from about 20 feet away. And in the sunslight, the plumage is really quite gorgeous.

The park between Ramsgate and Broadstairs is good (King George?) as well,and you can put in a bit of sea-watching...

Richard

I think I might get excited to see a parrot flying free here in the Wirral, but I would be more excited if I saw a Cuckoo, not seen one of them for fourty years.

On my patch we have a decent amount flying around.All my local birds roost in Hither Green Cemetry,Lewisham.. A very noisy place..
With regards to Kestrels etc..I have noticed that indeed they do not seem to be bothered by the presence of a Kestrel. However the Sparrowhawk does seem to cause a considerable reaction from them when its around..
Another bird that falls to its mobbing is the Heron.Only this weekend I was out in the early morning when a Heron flew over closely followed by some chasing Carrion crow and parakeets..( the wood pigeons predictably fled!!lol).

I haven't as yet seen any real behaviour towards other resident birds that has caused me concern..the only event I can find in my logbook that caused a bit of concern was the observation of a parakeet seemingly 'bullying' a nuthatch..It only lasted about 30 seconds but the parakeet for some reason chased the poor little blighter between the branches..This was in April last year, possibly a dispute over a nesting hole?

It was indeed very sad to learn that a Jaguar was recently killed .............

There are several species of parrots in Guyana that are heading down the same path of extinction. For every parrot that is successfully exported, 15-20 die in captivity before they reach their final destination. Their deaths are due mainly as a result of the injury they sustain when they are being thrown by pouchers, from the top of tall trees where they live, to the ground below.

The pouchers would climb these tall trees where these birds are know to be nesting. Sometimes they, the parrots, would live in nests that they would construct with leaves and twigs, or at times they would move into dug-outs created at the top of decaying trees. The pouchers would put a glove on one of his hands so as to prevent the defenceless birds from pecking at them, then they would have a large billow of smoke created while they are on top of the trees where the birds live. The smoke is to suffocate and confuse these birds. One by one these parrots, both mom and babies, would be plucked out of their nests, have the feathers on one of their wings clipped, so they cannot balance properly when they attempt to fly, and thrown to the ground. This drop can be over 100 feet at times. The damages the parrots suffer is due mainly to the manner in which they are thrown to the ground. It is not evident. Most times it is internal injury that results in the death of these poor birds before they are illegally exported to Europe via Suriname.
www.justonjustice.com
See FAQ

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back