• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Road Trip USA. Part One, Salton Sea to Arctic Ocean. (3 Viewers)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Desert to tundra, Greater Roadrunner to Spectacled Eider, blistering heat in lands ninety metres below sea level to snow on the heights of the remote Brooks Range in Alaska, this trip is an ambitious undertaking not least due to the fact I am not sure how or if I can actually complete the last leg of the journey.

Targets for the trip? A juicy bonanza of mammals ...perhaps 50 species, oodles of birds.

Basic Plan

Travelling from 27 June till 25 July 2013 and utilizing rental car, Amtrak train, boat, ferry and a good deal of hitch-hiking, the basic idea is to fly into San Diego in southern California, then loop by car to the south-east to visit the superb Salton Sea a few kilometres north of the Mexican border, before then moving north through the arid lands of the Mohave Desert and Death Valley. After exploration of Mono Lake and adjacent sagebush areas, I will then climb into the Sierra Nevada mountains, spend a couple of days in Yosemite and then drop down to the Pacific coast, focussing on the rich waters of Monteray Bay. Leaving the car in Sacramento, I will then travel north to Seattle on a 20-hour Amtrak train, picking up another car to spend the better part of a day exploring the North Cascades in Washington State.

Then begins the adventurous segment of the trip – four-and-a-half days on a ferry boat, travelling up the Pacific Coast, initially via the Inside Passage through British Columbia and south-east Alaska and then via Yukatat across the open Gulf of Alaska. I really have no idea what to expect on this boat journey, parts will surely be tedious, but elsewhere rewards could include multiple species of auk, shearwater and albatross, plus hopefully whales and other marine species of mammal, in particular Orca.

Docking at Whittier, my plans are then a little flexible, another boat journey to visit seabird colonies one option, exploration of forests on the Kenai Peninsula another. Either way, a couple of days later, I will travel north to Denali National Park, land of mega-fauna and excellent birding, camping at a small campsite in the shadow of the mighty Mount McKinley. From Denali, a major question mark sits over the next step – a desire to reach the Arctic Ocean by land. The only land route is via the Dalton Highway, a remote gravel road running north from Fairbanks across the Arctic Circle, over the high mountains of the Brooks Range and onward to Deadhorse. A round-trip of over 1600 km, there are basically no settlements or services of note along its route, but plenty of Grizzly Bears and potential for good birding. At journey’s end, Deadhorse – a settlement established a few kilometres from the Arctic Ocean, permanent population zero, transient population somewhat variable, all there to service the oil installations in Prudhoe Bay. The journey to Deadhorse promises to be the biggest challenge of this trip – most car rental companies do not permit their vehicles to use this road, too remote and the road in too poor condition they say. The couple of companies that do allow their vehicles to use the road charge extortionate fees that, coupled with the equally extortionate cost of petrol on this route, would lead to a bill of perhaps $1500 for a short trip to this outpost. My solution, stick the thumb out and hope for the best. All reports suggest it is a hitch-hiking nightmare – not only the possibility of adverse weather and encounters with Grizzlies (and the guarantee of the biggest mosquito swarms on planet Earth!), but more critically very little traffic … and most of that being trucks servicing the oil stations that are forbidden to pick up passengers! Presuming all goes well, the rewards at the end potentially included both King and Spectacled Eiders, though I will be a little late in the season for these, plus a lot of juicy maybes, including Polar Bear, Sabine’s Gull and Snowy Owl.

From Deadhorse, depending on how long it takes to get there, my plans are a little hazy, possibly hitch-hiking directly back to Fairbanks; possibly flying to Barrow for a couple of days, an isolated community 150 miles further up the Arctic Coast and not reachable by road; or possibly, if the route up had been more difficult than expected, probably cursing that I had missed my flights back to Europe.

The finale to my journey will be a flight from Anchorage to Seattle, a very tight connection then taking me onward to New York and thereafter Europe. Not sure how I will get to Anchorage yet, nor if I make the connection. If I fail on either count, I’ll probably extend my trip by a week or so…

Attachments

• Road Trip USA - Barrow us.jpg
    Road Trip USA - Barrow us.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 170
Sounds like a fantastic trip Jos and good luck on the Alaska leg. If you've got the time try and get out to the seamounts in Monterey Bay, failing that, park anywhere along the road that runs along it, and play the thick, but harmless, foreigner when the police pull up. Orca should be almost guaranteed from the Queen Charlottes north ( I've had pods of up to 15 there ).

Chris

On the Road...

27 June. Trans Atlantic.

Let the journey begin. With temperature alerts in place for the Mohave and Death Valley areas (forecast highs of 51° C), so I boarded my flights – a short hop form Vilnius to Helsinki, a rather longer leg to New York City, then another 6 hours to San Diego in southern California. Arrived at 9 p.m. local time, 22 hours of planes and airports now behind me, the open road ahead.

25° C, already dark and a light breeze drifting in off the Pacific Ocean, I picked up my rental car and set off eastward, departing the suburbs of San Diego to cruise Interstate 8. Two hours or so later, having skirted the Mexican border for much of the journey, I arrived at my destination for the night, the rather hot and humid town of El Centro. Wishing to wake up in a fit state for the onslaught of high temperature birding ahead, I decided it a good idea to spend this night in a hotel, the luxury of air-conditioning rather appealing.

Managed a grand total of three four species of this day – Skylark and Hooded Crow from the plane in Helsinki, European Starling and Feral Pigeon at the airport in New York!

Last edited:
Safe trip Jos - sounds tremendous. What about mountain biking up to Deadhorse . . . backwards . . . on a unicycle?

Cheers
Mike

Sounds like quite a trip, I look forward to updates. Good luck with the heat, I just heard today that much of the southwest is getting record highs this week... ugh!

51c? Pah!, nowt.

Well managed to pass through Death Valley on the very day it hit record levels - 54.4 C, 130 F. Apparently that is only a degree or two lower than the world record! It shattered the glass of my thermometer - which had a maximum of only 52C.

Still alive however - and a cracking trip so far, nearing the end of my California leg, almost 30 mammal species so far, including a very memorable pod of 12 Blue Whales today, a little bit of a fight with a massive Black Bear intent on breaking into a car and some rather nice birds too. Needless to say however, in Death Valley I saw a grand total of zero species of birds and zero species of mammals ...may have been partly related to my mid-afternoon visit!

Full report to follow some time later...

28 June. Salton Sea

Even under normal conditions, a summer visit to the Salton Sea is an assault on the senses – sitting in a depression in the deserts of southern California at an altitude of 220 feet below sea-level, the place festers under a relentless sun. Hot, muggy and a gentle saline aroma, the delights of Salton.
For all that however, it is also an absolute haven for birds – pelicans, egrets and cormorants dripping out of the non-existent trees, a selection of arid county birds such as Greater Roadrunner and Lesser Nighthawk and a whole bunch of specials found easier here than in many other parts of the USA – Yellow-footed Gull, Ruddy Ground-Dove, Burrowing Owl and Bronzed Cowbird to mention just a few.

And so, with a regional heatwave making the news in southern California and Arizona, it was time for my Salton Sea to Arctic Ocean voyage to truly begin. Up an hour before dawn in the hope of seeing the Burrowing Owls before the heat sent them down their holes, I left El Centro and motored north to the southern end of Salton Sea, Mourning Doves and Great-tailed Grackles the first birds of the day as light etched across the horizon. Flocks of Red-winged Blackbirds next, plus squadrons of Cattle Egrets flying in, a few Northern Mockingbirds here and there, a Northern Harrier drifting along and, as the sun rose, Horned Larks scrubbing around on a dusty track. The owls nest in embankments that line many of the dirt roads that criss-cross irrigated farmland just south of Salton Sea, the area around Bannister and Vendel Roads seeming to be particularly good. With the temperature already 30 C, I wondered if the owls would still be up and about, but I did not need to worry – within ten minutes of arriving, two beady yellow eyes were peering at me from the top of a mud bank, my first Burrowing Owl of the morning. And then two more, then another three, then two youngsters ….oodles of Burrowing Owls all basking in the morning sunshine! With about 20 owls seen over about five miles, I was feeling most chuffed, even more so when a Greater Roadrunner went darting down the road in front of me. Also my first mammals of the trip – first, two Coyotes and several Desert Cottontails, then a Muskrat taking a short cut across the road to get from one ditch to another.

It was now 7 a.m., the temperature was already rising somewhat alarmingly, so I decided to backtrack a little and visit the small town of Brawley, a fairly nondescript sort of place, but situated just a few miles north of the Mexican border home to several key birds. The leafy suburbs on the southern side of town offer good possibilities of Gila Woodpecker, Ruddy Ground-Dove and Bronzed Cowbird, the latter two of most interest to me as I had missed both on my previous visit to this site. Brawley surely must be dove capital of the USA – Mourning and White-Winged Doves commonplace, Collared Doves too, but also a generous dose of Common Ground-Doves alongside. With many folk out sprinkling their lawns, pools of run-off offered excellent drinking sources for all these species, and on the one of the very first roads I ventured down, it was one such pool that provided me with my first target species within the town - Ruddy Ground-Doves, a pair plodding across the road to drink in the gutter.

8.00 a.m., it was now already stinking hot, I had yet to see Gila Woodpecker, nor Bronzed Cowbird, so I continued my cruise of the town, ending up at Cattle Call Park, a small area of pasture inhabited by horses, plus an assortment of trees, mostly palms and eucalyptus. A lot of Great-tailed Grackles strutting about, as well as European Starlings, House Sparrows and assorted doves. Several Desert Cottontails on the grass too, but even better were three Bronzed Cowbirds alongside, target bird number two. As for target number three, i.e. Gila Woodpecker, I could already see that the remainder of the day was going to be a battle with the heat – before it managed to knock me out, I decided to give up on the woodpecker and return to the Salton Sea for its feast of water birds.

At Salton Sea, the temperature was now sitting at an incredible 48 C, Brown Pelicans sat panting on snags in the shallows, White-faced Ibises paddled in irrigated areas and at a nearby breeding colony, heaving masses of Cattle Egrets and Double-crested Cormorants clambered for space with Great Blue Herons and Black-crowned Night Herons. My targets at this locality were Black Skimmer and Yellow-footed Gull, the latter a Salton Sea specialty, the birds moving up from Mexico in this mid-summer period to place Salton Sea as the only locality in the USA that this species can be seen. Got to rocky peninsula on the southern shore of the sea, a Turkey Vulture was picking at dead fish on the beach, a right royal racket kicked off when the local Black-necked Stilts and American Avocets saw me, their welcoming calls alerting yet more from down the beach to come and join the choral performance. In a shimmering haze mid-distance, a bunch of white blobs I assumed to be gulls, so parked the car and took a walk – and indeed they were gulls, a couple of dozen only, but amongst the California Gulls and Ring-billed Gulls, three rather heftier individuals – Yellow-footed Gulls, two adults and one immature. Forster’s Tern offshore, plus several Caspian Terns. A few photographs, then with my feet cursing that I’d not worn shoes, I tiptoed, jumped and hopped back towards my car, a small stream on route adding a few Killdeer and, unexpected bird of the day, a splendid Least Bittern. Shoved air-conditioning on at full blast, drank the little water I had, then carried on to the next bay. And glorious it was, not only more Yellow-footed Gulls, but also some rather stonking Black Skimmers on the beach – seven at close quarters, another 40 or so further off. A busy little beach this one, American Avocets seemed to be breeding, the Black Skimmers kept flying up and down and, tucked onto a little spit, a few unseasonal waders in the form of a flock of Willets, six Marbled Godwits and a single Whimbrel. Twenty or so White Pelicans paddled amongst the Brown Pelicans.

At a nearby visitor centre, I added two more Greater Roadrunners, plus a third nearby, along with several Gambel’s Quail, Abert’s Towhee and, in a road embankment nearby, a colony of quaint Round-tailed Ground Squirrels. I also paused at a bunch of trees I had found two years earlier with the express hope of finding Lesser Nighthawks – several birds had been roosting on the lower branches on that previous visit, and low and behold, there they were … seven Lesser Nighthawks on exactly the same branches! But jeepers, that sun was burning down, I decided it was time to leave!

Original plan had been to spend the night in the Joshua Tree National Park, but with forecasts for the following day set to be even higher, I began to question the sanity of that idea. Instead, I hastily decided to pause at Big Morongo on the edge of the national park, thereafter to push on further. Visiting Big Morongo mid-afternoon on such a hot day is also perhaps of questionable intelligence – I expected to see very little. After a spell flopped in a chair at the hummingbird feeders near the entrance, watching Black-chinned and Anna’s Hummingbirds zipping in and out, along with Oak Titmouse and California Towhees to an adjacent seed feeder, I decided to make the effort to walk one of the trails. Predictably, almost no bird activity, a couple Ladder-backed Woodpeckers on a tree, two Black Phoebes near a stream and a Cooper’s Hawk overhead, but otherwise almost nothing.

Had I been still questioning the point of walking a trail in the hot of the afternoon at 48 C, the answer came with a shock! As I stumbled towards the finale of the trail, me virtually a zombie at this stage, I suddenly became aware of another set of legs ambling along the trail …directly in front of me, also looking not too amused by the temperature, one most magnificent Bobcat!!! Oo, that was a surprise. Without as much as looking round or changing pace, the cat continued to plod along, turning into scrub at the next corner.

Ah, I felt much better. Almost trotted back to my car now, flicked on the air-conditioning again, stopped to get a coffee in the local gas station, then hit the road north, cruising through the arid lands of the Mohave Desert. Destination for the night was the Cima Dome area, a slightly higher altitude locality and hopefully a few degrees cooler at night. Arrived just before dark and selected a place to camp, Joshua trees dotted across a rocky hillside and a Great Horned Owl calling. A long hot day over, but as night fell, one last treat – hopping about, at least five Merrian’s Kangaroo Rats, little beasties that I had hoped to find here.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back