• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robins nest (1 Viewer)

A few weeks ago we had robins build a nest in the nesting box , it’s well hidden in a very leafy plant . The robins were flying in and out of the box until two days ago . Yesterday a really sad find , I noticed a dead baby bird hanging over the edge of the box and discovered the nest has a few dead baby birds in it . There’s no sign of the robins anymore . This morning there’s another dead bird over the edge of the box . It’s really sad . I haven’t seen any other birds go near the box so I have no idea what happened. Do I just leave the nest in there ? 😢😢😢

I could be wrong but it sounds like it could have been a corvid getting in and taking the chicks. They will often kill the chicks and return for them later. You can remove the dead chicks and leave the nest in place and the Robins may re lay but if it is a predator getting in they will probably predate it again. All part of nature im afraid!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back