• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robins nest (1 Viewer)

We put a robin nesting box in our garden over a year ago , it’s well hidden in a very leafy climbing plant , we gets lots of robins in the garden , anyway a couple of weeks ago we noticed a robin flying in and out of the nesting box with twigs etc and has built a nest , my daughter was really happy as she loves nature and and animal , we were all really elated that there was a nest however the last few days there’s been no sign of the robin . Will the robin return to the nest ? We stayed well away from that part of the garden as soon as we knew there was a nest so it hasn’t been disturbed at all .

Hi Westie and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Well done on getting the Robins to show an interest in your nest box. Don't despair though it's possible there are eggs that the female is sitting on. There won't be much activity until they hatch. She will leave occasionally, but you may not see it happen as they won't want to draw attention to the site.

Please let us know if whether or not they are successful.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Do robins build more than one nest ? Or do they build it and leave it a while before laying eggs ? Hubby had to cut the grass yesterday and tried to stay as far away from the nesting box as possible . We have a fairly small garden but haven’t been near the area by the nesting box since noticing the robin building the nest .

Small birds like Robins, usually lay 1 egg per day until their clutch is complete (4-7 eggs). Only then do they start to incubate them so they will all hatch within a day of each other. I have no information about whether they will build more than one nest.

Robins are very tolerant of normal human behaviour and as long as we don't directly approach the nest will not be too concerned about general gardening work, so long as what is done in the immediate vicinity of the nest is kept to a minimum.

It's possible that something has happened to one of the adults, such as being attacked by a cat, Sparrowhawk or hit by a car. In these circumstances I'm afraid the remaining adult will not be able to continue until another mate is found, by which time it might be too late for breeding in that year.

Small birds like Robins, usually lay 1 egg per day until their clutch is complete (4-7 eggs). Only then do they start to incubate them so they will all hatch within a day of each other. I have no information about whether they will build more than one nest.

Robins are very tolerant of normal human behaviour and as long as we don't directly approach the nest will not be too concerned about general gardening work, so long as what is done in the immediate vicinity of the nest is kept to a minimum.

It's possible that something has happened to one of the adults, such as being attacked by a cat, Sparrowhawk or hit by a car. In these circumstances I'm afraid the remaining adult will not be able to continue until another mate is found, by which time it might be too late for breeding in that year.
Hubby wondered if it was a decoy nest

The robin is back and sitting in the nesting box , I was filling the bird feeder and it suddenly flew out then came back a few minutes later when I’d gone back inside

Quick update , another brief sighting of the robin today, I’m guessing it was the female as she was sitting on top of the bird feeder , took some of the fat ball then went back in the nesting box .

Just had to get our dog from the garden , glanced across at the nesting box and noticed there was a dead baby bird hanging over the edge , sadly the nest also has dead birds in but the feathers look blue . The robins were going in and out of the box two days ago bit no sign of them since yesterday . Very sad discovery.

Oh that is sad!! I'm so sorry to hear this news Westie.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back