• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robins on Madeira (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
According to Bannerman and Bannerman (published in the mid-1960s), the local race of European Robin on Madeira is Erithacus rubecula microrhynchus.

However, at present I am unable to find any reference to E. r. microrhynchus. I wonder whether it is still accepted by any authority?

Attached is an image of a postage stamp from the 1980's.

selo-portugal-madeira-papinho-8962.jpg

I don't think so. The taxon is referred to several places, but more as a 'historic' taxon than anything else. Seems birds on Atlantic oceans are either nominate or E.r. superbus of GC and TEN.

I don't think so. The taxon is referred to several places, but more as a 'historic' taxon than anything else. Seems birds on Atlantic oceans are either nominate or E.r. superbus of GC and TEN.
Just fo info - From IOC 13.2 re GC and TEN:
"Add subspecies marionae (Dietzen et al 2015). Erithacus marionae Gran Canaria Robin is a proposed split from Erithacus rubecula based on differences in plumage, morphometrics, bioacoustics and supporting molecular analysis, and differs from E. superbus by song, calls and a high level of genetic divergence (Sangster et al 2022)."

"Erithacus superbus Tenerife Robin is a proposed split from E. rubecula based on differences in plumage, morphometrics, bioacoustics and supporting molecular analysis (Sangster et al 2022)."
MJB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back