• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rock Partridge Recommendations Sought (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

Endeavouring to see my last remaining European species. A few to chase. I have looked for Rock Partridge a few times without luck & I would like to plan a trip in early June to see it if possible.

I want to maximise my chances but if Northern Italy is relatively straightforward, I can combine it with three remaining Category C targets - Ashy-throated Parrotbill, Northern Bobwhite & Sacred Ibis.

In addition to Northern Italy, I have seen Sicily and Croatia recommended.

I would really welcome recent good sites and experiences. Croatia looks like the standout location from eBird sightings.

Many thanks

Paul

Last edited:
I found mine on the run up to Mount Aenos, Kefalonia. Not great views, typical partridge crossing the road and I got distracted by EBE Wheatears soon after.

Depending on your definition of Europe, it is the only breeding species I still need - ignoring parrotbills and so on.

But unfortunately the state of my legs probably means I will never get anywhere near one.

Can't help Paul, but watching this with interest, as it's a big hole in my list too. Keen to hear how you get on, and best of luck with it 👍

Absent other suggestions, just been looking at Bristol to Dubrovnik Larry if you can tear yourself away from the background music of the M32...

Endeavouring to see my last remaining European species. I have looked for Rock Partridge a few times without luck & I would like to plan a trip in early June to see it if possible.

I want to maximise my chances but if Northern Italy is relatively straightforward, I can combine it with three remaining Category C targets - Ashy-throated Parrotbill, Northern Bobwhite & Sacred Ibis.

In addition to Northern Italy, I have seen Sicily and Croatia recommended.

I would really welcome recent good sites and experiences. Croatia looks like the standout location from eBird sightings.

Many thanks

Paul
We had no difficulty at all seeing Rock Partridge above Cavtat, near Dubrovnik Airport, including from the road. I doubt there is a significantly easier place for the species.
Worth noting, perhaps, that the Sicilian taxon is sometimes mooted as a distinct species.

Depending on your definition of Europe, it is the only breeding species I still need - ignoring parrotbills and so on.

But unfortunately the state of my legs probably means I will never get anywhere near one.

Category A needed for me are:-
Lesser Flamingo - they seem to be back at Laguna de Fuente de Piedra...
Rock Partridge
Azure Tit - Belarus a bit tricky currently...
Balearic Warbler
Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch - maybe Europe?

African Reed Warbler seems a step too far for me...

Category C for me are:-
Ashy-throated Parrotbill
Northern Bobwhite
Sacred Ibis
Black-rumped Waxbill
Orange-cheeked Waxbill
Red-whiskered Bulbul (only heard)
Pin-tailed Wydah
Scaly-breasted Munia
Muscovy Duck

Ho hum...

All the best

Paul

We had no difficulty at all seeing Rock Partridge above Cavtat, near Dubrovnik Airport, including from the road. I doubt there is a significantly easier place for the species.
Worth noting, perhaps, that the Sicilian taxon is sometimes mooted as a distinct species.

Yes. One eye on that split.... I may as well clear it up first.

Many thanks

Paul

In France, near Termignon (we went in July), it is supereasy and potentially combined with those trash birds in Northern Italy. ;) Can send details when back from Turkey, if wanted. Sicilian Partridge is most likely going to get split and anyway, June is quite the bad time for it. Winter is best for that one, it is quite rarish and there is only one area where there are no other species introduced (Mount Etna NP).

In France, near Termignon (we went in July), it is supereasy and potentially combined with those trash birds in Northern Italy. ;) Can send details when back from Turkey, if wanted. Sicilian Partridge is most likely going to get split and anyway, June is quite the bad time for it. Winter is best for that one, it is quite rarish and there is only one area where there are no other species introduced (Mount Etna NP).

Many thanks. That would be great.

All the best

Paul

Location is here
(42.5885278, 18.2466928)
And further along the road, down the Ronald Brown(?) trailway heading down the hillside from the village at the end of the road etc.

Could not possibly be more convenient, 12 minutes drive from Dubrovnik airport

HOWEVER

just a note to say that I and others have found the species significantly more difficult there, I had one good but brief sighting in about 6 hours over 3 days. So don’t bank on getting it instantaneously.

Cheers
James

Really excited to hear there's a reliable site near Termignon (that close to Bristol!) I'd really appreciate site details for this too 🙂👍

This site is quite a prominent site used by Dutch birders. We had some nice 'background' species as well like Citril Finch, Common Rock Thrush, Rock Ptarmigans.. Hopefully only one more day in Turkey, depending on our luck with the fish owl. Cheers.

Good luck with the Owl. Currently having a potter in Latvia around Kolka with no targets. Just a nice relax. Rain tomorrow may work for grounded migrants.

All the best

Paul

Hi,

Here you can find all the observations we did during our visit to French Alps, Jura and southern Germany: link.
We saw the Rock Partridges here: 45.316, 6.825. Basically, there is a car park below here (easily visible on G Maps). Park there and walk the trail from the car park. Be there at dawn and they will be calling. We had some heavy rain the first hour there and thought our chances were blown, but as soon as the rain was disappearing, they were calling loud and clear. Takes some time to find them, but they should be perched right above you, against the skyline (think Snowcock-like).
I would advise going too early in the season, as there can be some late snow, quite often, and you will have to walk a long way to get to the car park even. Be there in August and calling might have faded as they will have chicks by then.
We stayed at a cheap hotel in Termignon itself, just using booking.com. We drove from Groningen, NL to Termignon in one day. Spent a day finding all our target species including the RP's. Another morning for Wallcreeper searches, in vain. Then two days Jura for Three-toed, but July is of course a very bad time for this. One day in southern Germany for Grey-headed Woodpecker, which we did find and then back to NL.
Any questions, let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back