• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rock Pipit ? (1 Viewer)

Ian B

Caught this Pipit posing rather nicely on a wall on Holy Island a couple of weeks ago. At the time I put it down as a Meadow Pipit but now having looked at the photo the dark legs are leading me to Rock Pipit.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Ian B

Attachments

• pipit.jpg
    pipit.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 235
Ian B said:
Caught this Pipit posing rather nicely on a wall on Holy Island a couple of weeks ago. At the time I put it down as a Meadow Pipit but now having looked at the photo the dark legs are leading me to Rock Pipit.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Ian B
Looks good for a Rockit to me!

Rock pipit. Beautiful photo Ian.

Getting sub-specific, or racial, littoralis Rock pipits are supposedly more common on the east coast in winter than thought - but in this plumage it would probably be too hard to call. Maybe some of our Scandinavian members could comment?

Sean

Winter-plumaged Rock Pipits (at least of the littoralis ssp I see here in Sweden) can vary considerably in plumage. The lightest individuals can be confused with Water Pipit while dark individuals can look very dusky indeed. I think I'm right in saying they can't be reliably separated from nominate petrosus in the field in winter plumage.

Regards

Greg

I have a bird like this I can tell from other Rock Pipits on my local patch, because it is a lot paler than the other three.

sphinx79 said:
Winter-plumaged Rock Pipits (at least of the littoralis ssp I see here in Sweden) can vary considerably in plumage. The lightest individuals can be confused with Water Pipit while dark individuals can look very dusky indeed. I think I'm right in saying they can't be reliably separated from nominate petrosus in the field in winter plumage.

Regards

Greg

Thanks for clarifying, Greg - this is exactly what I thought, but wasn't sure if there were any WP features on darker birds that were consistent.

Rock pipit, indeterminate race then.

Sean

Corvus Corax said:
Digiscoped or camera?

Thanks all for the Pipit masterclass and compliments

Karl, digiscoped with an Olympus 5060

Here is another............Who do you think your pointing that thing at ?........

Attachments

• Pipit 2.jpg
    Pipit 2.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 131
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back