• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roe Deer (5 Viewers)

JoanT

England
Hi,

Whilst out atlassing for the BTO survey early yesterday morning I saw a female Roe deer with 3 gavorting and frolicing fawns. I looked around and I was viewing through a telescope across to a distant field hoping to find Red Legged Partridge. There was no other female in sight but they were close to a woodland edge and I found a stag about 200 yards away.

What I wanted to know is could a female have triplets or do Roe deer operate a creche system like some other mammals.

Many thanks if you can help

Triplets are quite common in roe deer, but not in other deer for some unknown reason, but I have never seen triplets.

Mark

Would say the opposite from Mark,while not unusual for them to have triplets I would say its not common place, most of them have twins or singles, a lot probably has to do with food supply, in 50 odd years of stalking and photographing I have unforunately never come across triplets(have reared one after taking it out of a fox snare)
An article here on examinations of Roe deer, small sample but if triplets were common it would surely show up.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...9+July+from+10-12+BST+for+monthly+maintenance

Would say the opposite from Mark,while not unusual for them to have triplets I would say its not common place, most of them have twins or singles, a lot probably has to do with food supply, in 50 odd years of stalking and photographing I have unforunately never come across triplets(have reared one after taking it out of a fox snare)
An article here on examinations of Roe deer, small sample but if triplets were common it would surely show up.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...9+July+from+10-12+BST+for+monthly+maintenance

My wording was probably not quite right, trying to say that they do have them far more frequently than other species, but of course it is far less common than singles or twins.

Mark

Triplets are quite common in roe deer, but not in other deer for some unknown reason, but I have never seen triplets.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I was obviously lucky as in my immediate birding area I don't even see Roe so a bit of BTO Atlassing slightly further afield and not only my first Roe Deer with not just one Fawn but 3. Have seen Roe Deer before

Thanks for the reply Mark, and I might also add I must have been very unlucky, as you would have thought in all of those years I would have come across some triplets.
The one thing I did come across which was very unusual was a fox den with cubs 20feet up an elm tree.

Thanks for the reply Mark, and I might also add I must have been very unlucky, as you would have thought in all of those years I would have come across some triplets.
The one thing I did come across which was very unusual was a fox den with cubs 20feet up an elm tree.

I have read somewhere that having twins and triplets was hereditary, so it may be localised in some areas being much more prevalent and in others very rare.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back