• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roger Vine’s review of an original Leitz Trivovid 7x35 (1 Viewer)

B) And something very similar from an old review of a Swift Eaglet by Stephen Ingraham:
<snip|
'Some of us have fond memories of the old Leica (then Leitz) 7x35 Trinovid. For several decades they were the binoculars many a birder aspired to.
They were small, had a wide field and good eye relief, and, with some effort and expense, could be adjusted to focus closely.
Though they were never advertised as waterproof, I know of at least one Leica dealer who used to keep a pair in a fish tank full of water in his front window
and pull them out to demonstrate to customers.'
IMO the problems arose when you used them in the rain, i.e. when you used the focuser a lot. At least that's what seems to have happened on the two occasions when friends got water into their 10x40s on separate birding trips in the UK. That's quite different from just placing a pair in a fish tank full of water.

Hermann

In relation to the degree of 'waterproofness' of the original series Trinovids . . .

A) There’s an interesting observation by Steve C:

B) And something similar from an old review of a Swift Eaglet by Stephen Ingraham:
(It’s from the start of a review of the Swift Eaglet 7x36. Stephen’s reviews from the late 1990’s though the early 2000’s, can now be found on
the Cloudy Nights site at: All Reviews | Better View Desired )

'Some of us have fond memories of the old Leica (then Leitz) 7x35 Trinovid. For several decades they were the binoculars many a birder aspired to.
They were small, had a wide field and good eye relief, and, with some effort and expense, could be adjusted to focus closely.
Though they were never advertised as waterproof, I know of at least one Leica dealer who used to keep a pair in a fish tank full of water in his front window
and pull them out to demonstrate to customers.'

. . . so maybe at the time it was a thing, at least with some US retailers? :unsure:
Though that's not to suggest that Canip should do a side-by-side dunking comparison of his old and new 7x35’s, to see what happens! 🛀

John
I owned a 1982 Leitz 7x35. I was a sailboat captain at the time and took them on numerous transpacific sailboat crossings, at least six trips, plus used them in the mountains. They never showed signs of leaking, but the prisms got knocked loose from banging around the boat in rough seas. I was young and immature abusing them like that. I replaced them with a pair of Fujinon 7x50 MTRCs, more appropriate for that kind of use.

I have the distinct feeling if these had been cleaned (I don't believe he mentioned they had been, or perhaps didn't know), they would perform better.

I had a pair of these exact bins for a while - I realized at a certain point that they were a long ways away from my Conquest HDs and sold them.

Thanks, John.

For the sake of completeness, and to compare like with like, here the new and the old 7x35 side by side:

View attachment 1504649
Roger,

Thanks for that review of the 7x35 B and to John for letting us know about it.

It's quite remarkable how well the old Leitz held up against the Retrovid with Leica's latest prism and AR coatings. I'm not sure if the fact that the Leitz is in such good shape is proof of Leica's "industrial strength" or if it had been owned by a little old lady from Devonshire. :)

Question?

You wrote: Given that a focusing lens in the usual position between the prisms and objectives is known to contribute to false colour, the unusual focusing system here [between the EP and prism] may help with the remarkably low false colour levels.

Why do modern roofs have the focusing element between the prism and the objectives? Is this necessary for the WP/FP, which the Leitz doesn't have?

Brock

I owned a 1982 Leitz 7x35. I was a sailboat captain at the time and took them on numerous transpacific sailboat crossings, at least six trips, plus used them in the mountains. They never showed signs of leaking, but the prisms got knocked loose from banging around the boat in rough seas. I was young and immature abusing them like that. I replaced them with a pair of Fujinon 7x50 MTRCs, more appropriate for that kind of use.
Cap'n Jack,

I had no idea you had been a sailboat captain, and on transpacific crossings, no less! You must have some interesting tales to tell.

I've been out on my cousin's Sunfish in Florida and managed not to get my head knocked off when he abruptly turned the sail. But I have never been on a large sailing ship. I've only been on row boats, pontoon boots, a company yacht, and for a cruise on the QE2. But I enjoyed reading novels about sailing ships including Captains Courageous, The Sea-Wolf, and Moby-Dick.

A Fuji does sound like a more sensible choice for seafaring than the non-WP Leitz. That's originally why I bought a Fuji 6x30 FMTR-SX, but then the pandemic it and my friend sold his boat, so I ocassionally take it on hikes, but they are not getting used on the high seas.

Brock, a fictional first mate

Cal Poly G'daughter and I've been birding a bit lately. While she loves snakes and lizards, her training is a plus when we get something in view we need to figure out. Ive been loaning her my old Zeiss 1040Bs, with a bit of guilt, while I use the NL 832s and drag the blasted scope around. Wondering, trying to assuage that guilt, I decided to see what I was subjecting her too, so did a shootout with them against EL 1042s and NL 832s. Uh... they're fine! And I suspect even with my newly Cataracts fixed eyeballs, her young eyes see just fine. She sure is fast on target.

That's not a total surprise, to be honest. I have, and use, the 10x40 Dialyt regularly and still find it a very useful birding tool (took it on both my overseas birding trips this year in preference to more modern binoculars, and added a number of lifers including most recently a wallcreeper on a limestone cliff face in Catalunya). On heavily overcast days in Berlin it was distinctly not as bright and indeed a little less sharp than my brother's 8.5x42 EL, but I could identify the birds just as well - on bright days the two were very close. 10x mag in a compact x40 package is a combo that has worked well for decades. Mine is the P model, but when I tried the 10x40 GA Leitz Trinovid, it too seemed more than adequate for most birding, especially at shorter range. I have no idea how exacting an observer Roger/Scopeviews is, but if the 7x35 is if in good condition it ought to be a perfectly functional birding binocular - not perhaps for those who desire ultimate sharpness or brightness, but quite able to do what you need a 7x35 to do.

I have had, and used, my Dialyt 10x40 in the rain on a couple of occasions, most recently in Germany but also in a tropical downpour in Singapore when an ernesti peregrine kept doing loops around/over a building as the rain came down. The binocular experienced no ill effects, but I wasn't doing much focusing. After those experiences I wouldn't mind getting it rained on, especially if shielded by a rainguard, but would avoid large movements of the focus wheel, especially observing into rain.

Roger,

Thanks for that review of the 7x35 B and to John for letting us know about it.

It's quite remarkable how well the old Leitz held up against the Retrovid with Leica's latest prism and AR coatings. I'm not sure if the fact that the Leitz is in such good shape is proof of Leica's "industrial strength" or if it had been owned by a little old lady from Devonshire. :)

Question?

You wrote: Given that a focusing lens in the usual position between the prisms and objectives is known to contribute to false colour, the unusual focusing system here [between the EP and prism] may help with the remarkably low false colour levels.

Why do modern roofs have the focusing element between the prism and the objectives? Is this necessary for the WP/FP, which the Leitz doesn't have?

Brock

I would guess that modern eyepieces are based on rather complex designs, so that it won't be easy (means: it would be costly) to include a focusing mechanism by shifting a group of lenses and at the same time to maintain a close to perfect image. The only eyepiece-focused binocular I presently own is a Soviet BPO 7x30, and it is easily verified that both magnification and distortion vary with the focusing distance. Don't know whether the same phenomenon is observable with the old Leitz.

Wasn't it Henry, who many years ago here on this platform argued that the introduction of focusing elements between objective and prism enhanced the problems with color fringing? It is interesting to note that shortly after this innovation the manufacturers began adding 'ED' lenses to their objective designs. Perhaps in order to compensate for the problems induced by the focusing lenses? I remember a discussion with a professional designer (perhaps Buchroeder) who argued that color fringing would almost exclusively be generated inside the eyepiece so that ED objective lenses were either a marketing gag or introduced for some other unknown (to him) reasons. I find it plausible that the side-effects of a focusing lens might be reduced with SD objectives. In any case I believe that eyepiece-based focusing could be the ideal approach to make waterproof Porro-binoculars.

Cheers,
Holger

A very interesting review, as usual, even though there are a few points I see differently, like his remarks on Uppendahl vs. SP prisms and the effects of phase-coating in low power binoculars.
Since you've mentioned it here in the article, what are your differing views on these two subjects as applies to the posted article? These are both subjects that I've been hoping to better understand.

I'd like to add that I believe the review is likely to be very inaccurate when positing that his black square Wetzlar labeled 724xxx Leitz 7x35 with button attachments for the strap is from near the end of their run while my red circle version, 907xxx with universal strap attachment points has a much better chance of matching that description.

To tell the truth, this binocular here looks exactly like a Leica unless you look very closely at the lettering, plain rubber eyecups and the fact that the badge actually says Leitz on it. I believe that my much later edition would probably fare even better in comparison, not only because it's apparently newer, with probably more recent coatings, but also because it still looks like a new binocular.

AE8141C9-DD49-47AD-93EB-4F613910558E.jpeg

Last edited:
Wasn't it Henry, who many years ago here on this platform argued that the introduction of focusing elements between objective and prism enhanced the problems with color fringing?
You might be thinking of Leif Goodwin, Holger, who had observed that his Zeiss Dialyt 8x30 seemed to have less false colour issues cf more typical roof prism models of the time. Indeed at such time there were folks insisting that claims of false colour issues in low magnification binoculars were a fabrication hence fluorite or ED glass had no place in them (though I do remember in one exchange his main adversary suggesting he was going to go away and have a think about how potentially eyepieces might be a source of such issues). Showing commendable consistency in his binocular upgrades I recall Leif moved on to a Nikon SE and then Zeiss Victory FL; the Zeiss Diaylt was gifted to his mother who subsequently had it stolen from her :(.

I would guess that modern eyepieces are based on rather complex designs, so that it won't be easy (means: it would be costly) to include a focusing mechanism by shifting a group of lenses and at the same time to maintain a close to perfect image. The only eyepiece-focused binocular I presently own is a Soviet BPO 7x30, and it is easily verified that both magnification and distortion vary with the focusing distance. Don't know whether the same phenomenon is observable with the old Leitz.

Wasn't it Henry, who many years ago here on this platform argued that the introduction of focusing elements between objective and prism enhanced the problems with color fringing? It is interesting to note that shortly after this innovation the manufacturers began adding 'ED' lenses to their objective designs. Perhaps in order to compensate for the problems induced by the focusing lenses? I remember a discussion with a professional designer (perhaps Buchroeder) who argued that color fringing would almost exclusively be generated inside the eyepiece so that ED objective lenses were either a marketing gag or introduced for some other unknown (to him) reasons. I find it plausible that the side-effects of a focusing lens might be reduced with SD objectives. In any case I believe that eyepiece-based focusing could be the ideal approach to make waterproof Porro-binoculars.

Cheers,
Holger
I think Henry mentioned it, but I'm not sure if he discovered it. Could be Goodwin, as Norm mentioned above. I didn't realize that there was a change in where the focusing element was positioned at the time ED glass was introduced. I attributed the increase in CA as a result of the change from lead glass to unleaded glass.

I saw the difference between the lead glass Nikon LX and the lead-free LXL. I even noticed more CA in the Nikon SE 550, which has "Eco-Glass" and was advertised as such. Previous models had lead glass.

A lot of members didn't believe those observations were objective (some don't see CA even in binoculars notorious for it), so I looked for supporting evidence and found it in a study of microscopes, which showed with photos that the microscopes with lead-free glass showed more CA than the former lead glass kind. So, that's what I assumed was the reason for the wide inclusion of ED glass (even the Nikon M5 has it now).

When optics makers changed over to lead-free glass, which was a result of a change in European enviornmental standards, they had to find suitable substiutes for the lead, arsenic and cadmium, and it took some experimentation to find the right combination. From looking at Nikon's 2017+ 8x30 E2s, Hakari seems to have come up with the right formula since I notice very little CA. The AR coatings are also much improved. The result is an increase in resolution (microcontrast), better color rendition, and better flare control. I think you still have an older model 8x30 E2, if so, it's worth the upgrade. Look for serial # starting with 81 or 82.

The Oberwerk SE binoculars are WP and have center focus, and from what I've read, the focusers are not tight like the Habicht's, but I'm not sure if they use EP-based focusing lenses. Be interesting to find out. If the magnification and distortion vary with the focusing distance, that would be a clue.

As to the Leitz, Roger or others who have one can look for those differences.

Brock

Last edited:
I didn't realize that there was a change in where the focusing element was positioned at the time ED glass was introduced. I attributed to an increase in CA as a result of the change from lead glass to unleaded glass.
The change was from moving objectives or eyepieces to an internal focusing element, and it had happened in roof models before the phasing out of leaded glass, so one could indeed suspect that as the primary reason for introducing ED glass (as your microscope example also suggests). But then, Porro models like EII don't seem to need ED glass, do they... so perhaps it's really the combination of the two factors, at least at the more modest magnification of binoculars.

Since you've mentioned it here in the article, what are your differing views on these two subjects as applies to the posted article? These are both subjects that I've been hoping to better understand.
These are the two statements I find difficult:

"These original Trinovids have a rare prism system described as an ‘Uppendahl’ that employs three cemented prisms and allows an especially compact body. This system is more complex than Schmidt-Pechan roof prisms and has more surfaces (so lower transmittance) than an Abbe-Königs, so the modern Trinovids use ordinary roofs." (Leitz 7x35B Trinovid Review)

The second sentence makes no sense. He obviously means SP prisms, when he refers to "ordinary roofs". Why does he refer to the transmittance of Uppendahl vs. Abbe-König? Both Uppendahl and Schmidt-Pechan have lower transmission than Abbe-König, not because of the number of surfaces, but because AK relies on total reflection rather than coated surfaces. And with an Uppendahl the light has to pass fewer glas-to-air surfaces than with a Schmidt-Pechan, so it will (theoretically at least) have higher transmission than a Schmidt-Pechan.

"Phase coatings solve an optical problem with roof prisms (including the Uppendahl) that lowers resolution, but in practice they don’t make a huge difference at low magnifications and this is borne out by testing." (Leitz 7x35B Trinovid Review)

This is IMO not true. Phase coatings do make an obvious difference, even at lower magnifications. I did a few tests myself at the time Zeiss introduced phase-coatings , including one between a Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 BGAT* and a 7x42 BGAT*P, and the differences in contrast, brightness and colour rendition were clearcut. Like they should, cf. Weyrauch, Adolf and Bernd Dörband: "P-Belag: Verbesserte Abbildung bei Ferngläsern durch phasenkorrigierte Dachprismen", Deutsche Optikerzeitung 4/1988.

Hermann

Wasn't it Henry, who many years ago here on this platform argued that the introduction of focusing elements between objective and prism enhanced the problems with color fringing? It is interesting to note that shortly after this innovation the manufacturers began adding 'ED' lenses to their objective designs. Perhaps in order to compensate for the problems induced by the focusing lenses?
When I first looked through a Leica 10x42 BA, immediately after they came out here, I straightaway noticed it had clearly more CA than a Zeiss 10x40 BGAT*P. I remember we were looking at Swifts, on a bright but overcast day, and the Swifts' wings had nice green and violet fringes on their wings. I believe Leica quietly made some changes to their BAs. Later 10x42 BAs I looked through were better in that regard.

Hermann

Hmm. Seems got it wrong about Leif's mum's binocular : it was a Zeiss Classic 8x20 he'd bought her which she had for about a year before was stolen.

Here's an early post by Birdforum standards by Leif speculating about the possibility of internal focusers being a contributory factor in the CA issues he found in roof prism models :

Looks like the Zeiss Victory FL and Nikon HGL both came out at about that time in 2004, the Leica Ultravid BR had been out for over a year and Swarovski were now busy producing faster focusing ELs...

Hmm. Seems got it wrong about Leif's mum's binocular : it was a Zeiss Classic 8x20 he'd bought her which she had for about a year before was stolen.

Here's an early post by Birdforum standards by Leif speculating about the possibility of internal focusers being a contributory factor in the CA issues he found in roof prism models :

Looks like the Zeiss Victory FL and Nikon HGL both came out at about that time in 2004, the Leica Ultravid BR had been out for over a year and Swarovski were now busy producing faster focusing ELs...

Cool, it was perhaps this post which I remember reading almost 20 years ago, thanks a lot for digging it out!

Cheers,
Holger

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back