• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Romania. Confirmation (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Last week. My guesses:

1) Willow Tit. Judging by the whitish wing panel.
2) Ural Owl. Based on large size, and yellow bill, but shouldn't I expect a longer tail?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Rumania, cerca Siguisoara.jpg
    Rumania, cerca Siguisoara.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
  • Rumania..jpg
    Rumania..jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
It does look like it. Whether you want to tick it without call is your choice. They should be present at a given site year-round, so you can always return and record the sound.

Attachments

• Broughton2009BritishBirds_MT_WT_id.pdf
    283.2 KB · Views: 4
testoduro, Willow Tits are very rarely found outside Carpathians in Romania (and I mean really inside Carpathians, not even near them), even during winter. If you tell where exactly you took the pic I'd tell you how likely WT is. Usually such pics from Romania are Marsh Tits. Not ID-able from this pic.

Regardless of this particular case (hard to confidently exclude either otherwise than on frequency), looking at my field notes, it appears that each time I observed Willow Tits they made high, very short 'pip' calls while foraging (contact calls?) apart from the usual distinctive calls? Have you heard Marsh Tits make similar very short high-pitched calls? I don't mean any of the usual whistles, which are longer, louder and their pitch isn't fixed: more akin to the contact calls (?) Great Tits or Blue Tits make?

Last edited:
Last edited:
if I understand correctly
(between Târgu Mureş and Braşov here)

Would there be Ural Owl if it weren't in the mountains*?

('cerca Siguisoara' = 'circa Sighişoara')

EDIT: *Assuming both photos were taken at the same place.
ural owl occures there, but not willow tit. and to answer your question about the pip calls: both species have them. usually they are much more conspicous in marsh tit, though!

testoduro, Willow Tits are very rarely found outside Carpathians in Romania (and I mean really inside Carpathians, not even near them), even during winter. If you tell where exactly you took the pic I'd tell you how likely WT is. Usually such pics from Romania are Marsh Tits. Not ID-able from this pic.
Hi, Lou. Thanks for your reply. As someone already pointed out, both pictures were taken south of but not far from Siguisoara. A wild hilly, rather than mountanious setting. I've attached a second picture of the tit but I'm not sure it can contribute much to the identification.

Attachments

• Siguisoara.jpg
    Siguisoara.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33

Users who are viewing this thread

Back