• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB ASW 8x40 eye relief question (1 Viewer)

syncrasy

The description of the RSPB ASW 8x40 porro binoculars says, "the twist down eyecups mean spectacle wearers can also use these binoculars." But the specified eye relief is only 13 mm (shorter than the commonly recommended minimum of 14-16 mm). Are there any spectacle wearers out there who have used the ASW 8x40 and can attest to its usability with regard to eye relief?

Last edited:
When we had a version of the same binocular available (Aspheric WA 8x40), our product description said: "Good eyerelief for some glasses wearers" as we knew that the 13/14mm available was tight.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

When we had a version of the same binocular available (Aspheric WA 8x40), our product description said: "Good eyerelief for some glasses wearers" as we knew that the 13/14mm available was tight.

HTH

Cheers, Pete
I have that binocular. It works okay with my not too close fitting glasses. When I put my contacts in it I use it with eyecups twisted in a bit. I can still use it with contacts with eyecups all the way down without "kidney beaning". Wearing glasses I find I need to centre the binoculars fairly carefully. Overall I can just about see the full field of view with glasses. The field is pretty wide anyway. I do notice a fair bit of glare probably because the prisms intrude into the image.

The RSPB bins may be better in regard of glare as there is a slight difference as they don't focus as close.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back