• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Frampton Marsh (1 Viewer)

See? What did I say?

https://www.tidetimes.org.uk/ is a link that actually works, an app is also available to download for the iphone.
(Disclaimer: printed tide tables are also available and are equally as effective)

And available for a very reasonable cost from the visitor centre ;)

Pec Sand and Tem Stint were also both about, but proving problematic to find. Glossy ibis was still with us, 3 spoonbills, 20+ curlew sand, half a dozen little stints, good views of merlin, hobby and peregrine too.

Last edited:
Saw two microlights passing over the reserve at 1900 flying over visitor center heading South, no clear ID markings but second one lurid lime green and purple. What are the appropriate bylaws regarding aircraft flying over nature reserves, and is there anyone to give a word in the ear to in this respect?

Agree completely, Fred. I hate the things. Flying low over peoples gardens and plonking down wherever they like. One particular imbecile actually landed in the conservation area on the wet grassland a few months back.

Big high tide today, though not so many birds as might be expected. Maybe they were all at Freiston. 50 curlew sandpipers was a good count though.

Someone reported a Baird's sandpiper last night, but had no sign of it this morning

One Pectoral Sandpiper was still present (from East Hide) this evening, along with the Glossy Ibis, eleven Curlew Sandpiper and at least four Little Stint.

It's depressing how quickly the nights are pulling in now! Good numbers of Black-tailed Godwit and Ruff were already starting to drop onto the reedbed by 19:30, but by that point the gloom was already descending in the most rapid and frustrating fashion!

Visiting soon - advice please

Hi all.

I have not visited Frampton, to date, and I want to put that right - so I'm planning a 2 day trip in October (It's a fair journey from my native hills!). Being a hill dweller I'm no expert on this type of habitat so I'm seeking some advice, please.

Presumably it would be a good idea to seek to avoid high winds and a shedload of rain, or are strong easterlies a "good thing"?

Should I plan to visit around the high tides or is that not particularly important?

Any good advice would be most welcome.

Hi all.

I have not visited Frampton, to date, and I want to put that right - so I'm planning a 2 day trip in October (It's a fair journey from my native hills!). Being a hill dweller I'm no expert on this type of habitat so I'm seeking some advice, please.

Presumably it would be a good idea to seek to avoid high winds and a shedload of rain, or are strong easterlies a "good thing"?

Should I plan to visit around the high tides or is that not particularly important?

It's a bit like Cley with a less corporate visitor center, more stringing of Terek sandpipers and with more birds ;););) Personally I am a wader junkie who takes advantage of high tides, but as Toby (Warden) and others point out there is plenty going on even on the wader front outside high tide periods. The location isn't as good for migrants after Easterlies as the North Norfolk coast, but if you want to 'find your own rares' (which is quite the in thing) Gibraltar Point near Skegness (25 miles away) is a classic spot that is under-watched but not un-watched

Thanks for that VillagerFred ; helpful indeed. I was at Titchwell for the high tide last week and enjoyed that, hugely, though it rather overwhelmed my limited wader ID skills :eek!: Hopefully I improved in the course of my several visits as I had my first confirmed sighting of several species.

I hadn't twigged that Gibralter Point is so close so thanks for mentioning it.

Hi all.

I'm not far from you and have down Frampton for a day trip. Great reserve, good hides that you can spend hours in. Also walk round the reserve and further can all be rewarding. Waders can give great views and especially at high tide. One of my favourites and well worth a visit. Not as commercial as some which personally I like and enjoy.

Phil

Hi all.

It all really depends what you want from your visit? If waders and wildfowl aren't your thing or your not keen on having hides to yourself with the outside chance of finding your own birds then Frampton may not be for you. If you enjoy birdwatching (rather than twitching) and having lots of birds to look at with the outside chance of something different then we're the place.

If the weather conditions are good on the coast for falls then they're good here. Head over on Friday and try and have a look before you head to your nights accommodation. Hit us up first thing in the morning and grill the place and if the tides/weather is good you'll have loads of waders to sift through and a walk to Tabbs Head may produce migrant passerines and some late sea watching. With Gib being 30-40 minutes away you could always pop there late afternoon and see what that holds.

If you have any more questions nearer the time then just ask away on here and I or one of our regulars will help you out I'm sure.

Thanks Boy Wonder. I'm a birder rather than a twitcher and the change of habitat from my usual haunts will, I'm sure, provide lots of birds I don't see very often.

Of course, it's nice to find a new species or two (new for me, that is) but that's a bonus, not an expectation. I'm planning to visit mid week, if I can, and I'm looking forward to it.

Notable influx of ruff this evening with 132 on the reserve outnumbering black-tailed godwit (one of the blackwit was ringed in Cork, Ireland). Also at least 20 common snipe with a Pec Sand cameo to round things off, little stint, greenshank and spotted sandpiper also present. Wigeon numbers starting to build....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back