• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB HD Bin's Upgrade (2 Viewers)

Yes Ron if I understood Paul from Viking, there was/are a large number of the older 42mm models to come out of the factory before they start producing the new HD's, hence the delay.

The new HD's listing in the Autumn RSPB catalogue was a bit(!) premature by all accounts.

FWIW Paul did say that they are made in a different factory to the Hawke ED's.

Nev

RSPB is made in China too?! I thought they were German or Japanese binoculars

I got a chance to try the new 8x32hd's at the WE and was somewhat underwhelmed. The view was rather dim and not all that sharp - possibly an early poor sample.
I'll be sorry if it does turn out to be a dud; I was pinning my hopes on it. A high quality 8x32 with a good FOV and reasonable close focus weighing in at under 500g is my ideal bin.

Michael

I'll be sorry if it does turn out to be a dud; I was pinning my hopes on it. A high quality 8x32 with a good FOV and reasonable close focus weighing in at under 500g is my ideal bin.

Michael
It's a bit more expensive and slightly heavier but, if you can find a stockist, the Meopta Meostar 8x32 is an excellent little binocular and well worth a look. (See the Sherwoods site for details). I tried a pair at Cley Spy recently and was very impressed. I will try to have a look at the RSPB HD 8x32 this weekend if I can.

Ron

It's a bit more expensive and slightly heavier but, if you can find a stockist, the Meopta Meostar 8x32 is an excellent little binocular and well worth a look. (See the Sherwoods site for details). I tried a pair at Cley Spy recently and was very impressed. I will try to have a look at the RSPB HD 8x32 this weekend if I can.
Ron, I don't know where I'll be able to find a pair of Meoptas to try, but today at the SWT's Loch of the Lowes centre, they had a pair of Kowa Genesis XD 8x33, which seem very similar in many ways to the Meostar, though reputedly even better. I tried them out and they were brilliant. The only downsides were the eye relief (15mm), which was a bit short, and the cost—£989. It's likely the Meostar's eye relief (15.4mm) will be too short for me too, as will that of the RSPB 8x32HD (15.6mm).

Michael

I got to try the 8x32 at Minsmere today as they are now available and this time round was much more impressed by the optics (Serial no. 44).

They seemed bright, sharp and the central hinge was suitably stiff though the dioptre setting could have been stiffer but at least now it is on the eyepiece.

Unfortunately the position of the strap lugs is too low on the bins and interferes with a comfortable grip whilst using the focus wheel. A shame as there is plenty of room to position it higher. Shades of MK1 Zeiss Victorys.

I think the 42mm models will be very interesting optically based on the 32mm and looking at the picture of them in the Autumn rspb catalogue the strap lug position won't be a problem as it is positioned higher. Not sure when they will finally be available though.

Nev

The revised 42mm HD models are now available from Viking at Halesworth though I don't know if there'll be any for me to try at Minsmere on Sunday. We still have a number of the originals there. If they are I will post back.

Nev

Hello folks.

Noticed in the autumn RSPB catalogue the RSPB HD bin's have been upgraded. Dioptre correct has been moved from the centre to the right eyepiece, and a new coating on the lens. Nothing on the RSPB optics website. There still showing the older version. price has gone up a tiny amount.

Has anyone tried this new version at all.

Richard

Hi Richard

I got a chance to try these last Sunday at Minsmere and was very impressed (indoors), by the 8x42 model. Everything was as it should be unlike the 10x42 model which needed a large adjustment on the dioptre ring to obtain sharp image in both barrels simultaneously. Optically they are both very fine binoculars. I'd need to take them outside to say more.

Incidentally the old HD's are now priced at £399 and still available at Minsmere at any rate.

Nev

My other half and I tried out the original RSB HD 8x42 many months ago, when they were first introduced. We were very impressed by them, with my only reservation being that the diopter required a lot of adjustment to balance the two barrels. We decided to leave it for the time being.

On Sunday we arrived at Minsmere and Lynn discovered that she had left her binoculars at home. Fortuitously, there was an Optics Day there so we took the opportunity to try out a few pairs on offer. After a while she had narrowed the choice down to the RSPB 8x42 BG.PC, the Viking 8x42 ED and the RSPB 8x42 HD. She liked the feel of the Vikings but they were about £50 more than the HDs without giving any noticeable optical improvement, so she is now the proud owner of a pair of RSPB HDs.

The view through them seems as crisp and bright as any which I tried. The size and weight are good and the focusing and eyecup actions are smooth and precise. The diopter setting is now on the right hand eyepiece and is much better than the earlier example which we tried. It was nearly in the central position after she had set them up correctly. Visually they look pleasantly clean and uncluttered but I think they could have included some sort of HD badging to make them look a little more 'special'. The lenses are now coated to repell water and dirt. They come with an 'exclusive' pin badge (not sure where you wear it), a comfortable neoprene strap, a natty little cleaning cloth in a pouch with a clip, and a good quality case with a belt loop but no strap, which is fine by me as you carry it by the binocular strap.

They come with a 10 year warranty, which seems to be the norm these days, and, assuming they are trouble free, they look perfect for her requirements. They seem to work all right, too, as she was finding birds long before me, including a Cetti's in a bush which completely eluded me until it flew away.

In conclusion, I think they are excellent binoculars which are well worth a look. We could have bought them cheaper online but, as all profits go to the RSPB, she was quite happy to purchase them from the Minsmere shop.

Ron

Last edited:
I have just spotted the 'major' visual difference between the HD and other binoculars in the RSPB range. The HD has a metallic silver badge on it whereas all the others have the usual blue one. I now know how to recognise fellow 'connoisseurs'. ;)

Ron

Really interested in the RSPB 8x42 HD. With being a volunteer I get 20% off, making them £400 (if my maths is right). Although that really is the very top end of my budget. I was just wondering if there are a better pair of bins out there for that kind of money? For example would it be worth going for the 8x42 HG as they are £100 cheaper and come with 30 years warranty instead of 10? I will obviously try before I buy, but could do with some ideas on what else I should/could have a look at.

Adam

Last edited:
For example would it be worth going for the 8x42 HG as they are £100 cheaper and come with 30 years warranty instead of 10?
The HG aren't as good optically and they're much bulkier and heavier than the HD. I think the extra £100 on the HD would be money well spent.

Michael

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back