• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Insh Marshes fire (1 Viewer)

That's awful news!!!

I've only managed to get there once and that was some years ago. I think that must have been a new hide.

I was thinking that myself Delia, as when I visited it was a traditional wooden hide with slots to look through, not the glass-fronted hide shown in the photos.

Yeah.... that's what I remember too. The position of it looks the same, up on that bank.

Very sad to hear.

I have been in that hide (viewing room) a few times. It is the one just off the car park, with a glass fronted room on its lower level, and a fenced viewing platform up above. There is another, more traditional hide a 10 minute walk away, down at the water level. That will be the one some are remembering.

What a shame. I was there for the first and only time late last year. It was quite a substantial structure as well, not just a regular wooden shed-type hide. It also looked like it was fairly new.

Absolutely gutted about this, Insh Marshes is my local reserve, I do volunteer admin stuff there and The Lookout was an iconic place, people even got married on the top platform. I've had great views of so many birds from there and have loads of photos from there. It will be rebuilt, but in the meantime it will be missed. It was originally built in 2010 and replaced an older information centre which was wooden with fixed windows

There are 2 other hides, one mentioned above down at the level of the marsh, and the other is about a 5 minute walk from the car park in the other direction which is also a traditional hide.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back