• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Saltholme (1 Viewer)

I'm thinking of going to Seaton Sands to try and see some snow buntings before the RSPB cafe opens on Saturday morning, how likely am I to see them there soon after sunrise?

There were around 60 present again this morning plus a Lapland Bunting and two Merlin flying in off the sea. I got there around 9.00am.

You can either park at the big car park behind the golf club at the southern end of Seaton Carew and walk down the beach or park at North Gare car park and walk out to the pier and turn left along the dunes/beach.

It's probably easier to walk down the beach from Seaton Carew though starting off today they were mostly down at the North Gare end and as the morning went on they moved up to Seaton Carew opposite the car park.

Thanks Ian, that's useful. I've got a few hours from sunrise so I'll have a slow wander around from the North Gare end. Any twite today? Anything else good?

I didn't check for Twite yesterday and didn't see the Shorelark myself. The Twite will likely be around though they're well south of North Gare on the beach behind the dunes where it meets Seaton Channel. You can't miss the samphire they hide/feed in.

Pretty quiet around Saltholme yesterday. Two Goldeneye on the east pond still but no sign of the Long-tailed Duck though it could have been still there. Around 40 Golden Plover were lined up along the north end of the causeway on west Saltholme.

Nothing at all on the fire station field. Most notable birds on the Bottom Tank were a pair of Shelduck and a Little Egret. The feeders beside the hide were busy on and off with Tree Sparrow, Greenfinch, Goldfinch all in good numbers plus a few Great Tit, Blue Tit and Chaffinch. A vole briefly showed itself. A rat gave more prolonged views.

A Great White Egret was reported flying towards Calor Gas Pool late morning but wasn't relocated. The only other notable bird was a Peregrine flying towards Dormans Pool after disturbing the waders.

Attachments

• IMG_2361a.jpg
    IMG_2361a.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2406a.jpg
    IMG_2406a.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2420a.jpg
    IMG_2420a.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2478b.jpg
    IMG_2478b.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2655a.jpg
    IMG_2655a.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 44
2014 Red Kite Survey

A request for your help. If a red kite was seen on the Farnes last year, it is perfectly feasible for one to be seen in your area.:t:

2014 Red Kite Breeding Survey

Friends of Red Kites (FoRK) are planning a survey of breeding red kites in the north east of England next spring and early summer. The aim of the survey is to establish the number of breeding pairs of red kites in Durham and Northumberland, including the areas of North and South Tyneside and Cleveland. FoRK already have a very strong monitoring team but would like to enlist the help of additional volunteers to carry out a more comprehensive survey.

Ideally, the survey will involve visiting potential breeding sites at least twice a month from the beginning of February to the end of June, although once evidence of breeding has been confirmed, visits will reduce significantly, and be made from a distance, to reduce disturbance.

Where possible, surveyors will be allocated a location close to their home patch.

Survey guidance notes and training, which will include a field visit to a local territory, will be available for those who require it.

Contact Ken Sanderson, mobile 07779413471, or email [email protected] for more information and to register your interest.

If you are interested but feel you cannot commit to the full survey then please still contact us, as any help, however much, will be greatly appreciated.

Ken Sanderson

Chairman & Kite Officer
www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

June I would of thought you would have to be the holder of a Schedule 1 licence to observe breeding Red Kites, if not I would gladly offer my time.

Damian.

Red Kite Breeding survey

You are quite right Damian; red kites are protected by law as Schedule 1 Birds of prey. This applies to the breeding season and as Ken says:
once evidence of breeding has been confirmed visits will reduce significantly, and be made from distance, to reduce disturbance.

the teams will be advised to observe from a distance as kites may not be disturbed once they are breeding. This will be stressed in the preparation and advice given to those taking part in the survey. Only licence holders may handle or intervene once nesting is established.

Please do help. Send in a note to Ken Sanderson, who will then add your name to the list of those taking part. If you know a particular area which could be important, please mention it.

June I would of thought you would have to be the holder of a Schedule 1 licence to observe breeding Red Kites, if not I would gladly offer my time.

Damian.

I will send him a email Joan, I already record for the BTO so not all about the code of conducts, however has I have already spoken you before regarding the Red Kites in the Teesdale area, they were the only breeding Kites I knew of so will have search for any new ones and I do not think there is many in the Cleveland area.

Damian

Red Kite Survey

Thanks, Damian. Every person out there is a chance to record vital information for this major survey.

June
Press & Publicity
FoRK

I will send him a email Joan, I already record for the BTO so not all about the code of conducts, however has I have already spoken you before regarding the Red Kites in the Teesdale area, they were the only breeding Kites I knew of so will have search for any new ones and I do not think there is many in the Cleveland area.

Damian

Redpolls at saltholme

Very quiet today not much about at all, here are a few images including redpoll from feeding station at phil stead hide.

Attachments

• IMG_0397 resized.jpg
    IMG_0397 resized.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0404 resized.jpg
    IMG_0404 resized.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0414 resized.jpg
    IMG_0414 resized.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0416 resized.jpg
    IMG_0416 resized.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 67
Hi,

I'm thinking of visiting Saltholme later this autumn with the hope of getting photographs of birds in an industrial setting. Could anyone advise which locations would be most likely to offer this?

Also I note that the reserve is only open 9am until 5pm. Is it possible to make arrangements to visit outside these hours or are there any other locations nearby which are accessible earlier and/or later in the day?

Many thanks in advance.

jerry

Jerry,

Getting close up pictures of birds in industrial setting may be a challenge, most of the time the birds are at water level, the hides elevated slightly and the horizon industry above hedge lines, etc., so you would need to be almost at water level to get them both in, the paths generally do not go down to water level. Wide angle shots will be no problem of course.

The reserve is locked outside of the times, however parts of the perimeter of the reserve are freely accessible (and sometimes offer better views), including the seal watchpoint (now called the saltern wetlands) and dormans pool.

Also just down the road (<1 mile) is Cowpen Bewley Woodland park, it has a lake and other settings that may be useful. (watch out for the car park lockup times)

Good luck with the pictures

Hi,

I'm thinking of visiting Saltholme later this autumn with the hope of getting photographs of birds in an industrial setting. Could anyone advise which locations would be most likely to offer this?

Also I note that the reserve is only open 9am until 5pm. Is it possible to make arrangements to visit outside these hours or are there any other locations nearby which are accessible earlier and/or later in the day?

Many thanks in advance.

jerry

The whole area around Saltholme and the North tees Marshes is set amongst heavy industry. Much of the land is reclaimed from the sea or under lain by brinefields and salt mines.

I'd be inclined to check out Teesmouth Bird Club website (link in my signature) if you haven't already as there's lots of locations listed.

Whilst many of the ponds are surrounded by industrial works I'm not sure that it's that easy to include the industry in the photos - other than the occasional chimney in the background and countless telegraph wires and pylons! Some of the brinefields are disused and birds use the old well heads as perches but they're not easy to get close views.

Maybe something like Seaton Snook would be more appropriate as it attracts lots of over wintering waders in Autumn. Some rest up before carrying on south but quite a few remain for winter. From the Snook itself looking south across the river you can photograph wader flocks passing in front of the steel works and dock areas. It's usually a very good location of various divers and the likes of Long-tailed Ducks and Slavonian Grebe.

Worth bearing in mind Hartlepool Headland as well as the dock area/fish quay can be good for birds. The area in front of the Borough Hall is good for migrants with some good rarities each Autumn and Spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back