• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Saltholme (3 Viewers)

Hi Ladies and Gents

For those wanting to catch the birds that catch the worms we are aiming to have the new Phil Stead Hide open at 08:30 each morning and close it just before 5.

Although you can visit the Phil Stead hide without going through the visitor centre we'd still appreciate it if you could pop in and let us know what you've seen and we're sure you're tummy's would appreciate a trip to the cafe too.

We're getting quite a few coaches turning up now the sun's shining and the reserve is brimming with activity so if you could please park in the overflow car park (big grassy bit) we, and the bus drivers, would be very grateful.

Thanking you

Came home early from the Lakes early on Monday to come over and spend a couple of windy hours at Saltholme. Well worth the effort, as a new birdwatcher I was amazed how beautiful Black Tailed Godwits and Redshanks are and so glad I got to see them for the first time there.

Spider...

A good day at Saltholme. We got there at 9.30 and left when it closed, highlight of the day for me was seeing a pair of Avocet and Ruff, followed closely by a small riot in the hide near the car park where all at once a couple of Peregrines, a buzzard and two Common Cranes were circling over the reserve at the same time!

So the full list for the day goes like this:
Little Egret, Shellduck, Grey Heron, Redshank, Moorhen, Coot, Black Headed Gull, Lapwing, Swallow, Pied Wagtail, Gadwall, Greylag Goose, Sedge Warbler, Blue Tit, Reed Bunting, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Tern, Canada Goose + Chicks, Tufted Duck, Great Crested Grebe, Peregrine Falcon, Buzzard, Common Crane, Oyster Catcher, Mallard, Mute Swan, Swift, Acocet, Ruff, Black Tailed Godwit, Little Ringed Plover, Meadow Pippet.

Thanks to my lovely daughter and the really helpful wardens who helped point me in the right direction and tell me what a lot of things were called.

Spider..... B :)

Last edited:
We spent the morning at Saltholme and saw our first Ruff and Black tailed Godwit amongst everything in view, our thanks to the people who pointed various birds out to us and let us see them closer with their scopes. Unfortunately I,m still taking pics in auto at the moment, trying to memorise birds, songs,calls and learn photography whilst full of cold is not working out too well. Looking forward to returning.

Thank you for the feedback and posting guys. We know there are loads of outlets to let us know about your visits to us with our Twitter, Facebook and Community pages so it's great that we can hear from you on here too. Hopefully you've lots of fantastic days on the reserve ahead of you :)

Phil Stead Hide CLOSED this Saturday, June 5th, for the morning.

Hi Ladies and Gents,

On Saturday 5th June, we’ll be holding an official opening ceremony at the Phil Stead hide.

Because of this the Phil Stead Hide will be closed until 11:30 am but please feel free to use the screen, between the Hide and pedestrian gate, and stretch your legs out onto the wider reserve until then.

Thanking you

On the way to work last night at 16.45 i saw a pair of shelllduck try to land on the road between east and west saltholme, when i got near to where they were they flew off again, i then noticed a group of 4 or 5 newly hatched ducklings on the central reservation, by the time we had turned rouned another car had stopped with hazards on, stopping traffic. The ducklings then managed to complete their journey across the road. Good to see people helping wildlife out in this way. Also during the night at the transporter an otter swimming in the Tees.

On the way to work last night at 16.45 i saw a pair of shelllduck try to land on the road between east and west saltholme, when i got near to where they were they flew off again, i then noticed a group of 4 or 5 newly hatched ducklings on the central reservation, by the time we had turned rouned another car had stopped with hazards on, stopping traffic. The ducklings then managed to complete their journey across the road. Good to see people helping wildlife out in this way. Also during the night at the transporter an otter swimming in the Tees.

What a great story Lamp. Good to hear everyone being more aware of the wildlife in the area. Any idea on which direction pool were going to? We know we had a pair nest on Back Saltholme that has 5 chicks but hopefully your pair may be different. Will keep an eye out for them

T

Hi Toby, the shelduck were crossing from the layby toward Huntsman Drive, the young only looked to be 3 days old maximum so i don't know if its the same ones, also over the last few weeks i've been seeing 2 barn owls regularly in the area at about 3.30am, one appearing to be darker than the other so hopefully another success story.

bar-headed goose, 3 Knots and 3 dunlin at saltholme yesterday. Also saw a Hare running across the path, and A fox getting mobbed by crows outside the visitor centre window :)

Want to join the Saltholme team......?

Information Assistant - Date with Nature

Based at Saltholme, Teesside
Salary £13,800 to £15,500 per annum
Contract 1 August 2011 to 31 October 2011
Full Time 37.5 hours to include weekend working

We are looking for an enthusiastic and dynamic person to work for the RSPB on the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) funded Saltholme Date with Nature project looking at the common seal colony at Greatham Creek. Main duties will include overseeing the project, including managing a team of volunteers and meeting support targets. You’ll be raising awareness and inspiring people about the RSPB’s conservation work and directing visitors to other fantastic wildlife sites in the North Tees.
If you are a good communicator, passionate about wildlife and have the ability to deliver this enthusiasm to visitors of all ages, this is the post for you. A flexible approach to work is required, as are excellent organisational skills. A sound knowledge of wildlife would be an advantage.

Closing Date 1 July 2011 Interview Date week commencing 8 July 2011

For further information and to download a vacancy pack please visit our website at www.rspb.org.uk/vacancies

Bold Fox at Saltholme

On 10th July this fox approached me in the car park near the Phil Stead Hide at RSPB Saltholme. I saw it from 30 yards away and it didn't seem at all bothered. It then moved to some longer grass so I moved to about 20 yards away. It got up and came straight towards me eventually picking a bone off the ground about 4 feet in front of me and it calmly crunched it. It was an amazing experience. Two people were stood at the edge of the car park taking photos of the fox and me - if either of you read this I would be interested in having a copy of the photo you took. Cheers
Colin

Attachments

• Fox1.jpg
    Fox1.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Fox5.jpg
    Fox5.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 49
On 10th July this fox approached me in the car park near the Phil Stead Hide at RSPB Saltholme. I saw it from 30 yards away and it didn't seem at all bothered. It then moved to some longer grass so I moved to about 20 yards away. It got up and came straight towards me eventually picking a bone off the ground about 4 feet in front of me and it calmly crunched it. It was an amazing experience. Two people were stood at the edge of the car park taking photos of the fox and me - if either of you read this I would be interested in having a copy of the photo you took. Cheers
Colin

This fox has been INCREDIBLY bold recently. I think because everyone has let it be and not chased or harried it has meant it is comforatable in close proximity to visitors. We've found a lot of the reserve's wildlife is very approachable thanks to everyone keeping to the paths and keeping that safe distance. I've not known anywhere that you can get as close to Yellow Wagtails or Meadow Pipits as you can here. It all goes to show how patience and fieldcraft are as good as 'all the gear'. It's always best to let the wildlife come to you :)

Great work and pictures Colin

Hopefully those of you that don't get to the reserve that often enjoyed the last batch of videos. Here are a few more to hopefully brighten an overcast weekend

Great Crested Grebe family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJUvMpYka6Q&hd=1

Juvenile Little Ringed Plover

http://youtu.be/bqdg9R0apdE?hd=1

Common Sandpiper

http://youtu.be/mHrv59ncDTk?hd=1

Redshank chick

http://youtu.be/wndpSk7SqcA?hd=1

Black-tailed Godwit

http://youtu.be/phr7ZONWqgE?hd=1

and finally our friendly Fox investigating the workshop office

http://youtu.be/2YX4ptIsbhc

Brand spanking new binoculars

Hope this isn't advertising (although it is advertising and shameless self promotion) but if it is then please feel free to ask the mods to delete the post.

We have just got some pairs of the new RSPB Puffins in the shop. These are 8x32, lightweight and absolutely superb optically but when they cost less than £50 they're an absolute steal as a starter or second pair of binoculars. Have a chat with Adam our optics advisor or anyone in the shop next time you're in if you'd like a look.

Attachments

• DSCN0674.JPG
    DSCN0674.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 83
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back