• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rubik's Cube Bird Feeder (2 Viewers)

Tony Fisher

United Kingdom
For 40 years I have been obsessed with Rubik's Cubes and similar puzzles. It now combines my hobby and full time job and as well as designing, making, solving regular puzzles I also like to push the subject into new and weird directions. A puzzle chess set, a real functioning potato puzzle, a flying Rubik's Cube and countless more.
Today I present my Rubik's Cube bird feeder. I could have made it functional though that would have taken an enormous amount of extra work. So instead I made a simple cubic cage and attached coloured tiles. I hung it from a tree replacing a traditional feeder in the hope that birds would more likely accept it. After three days of nothing they finally returned.

Hi Tony and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. That feeder looks like great fun, and difficult for the bigger birds to get onto - thanks for showing it to us.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Today I present my Rubik's Cube bird feeder. I could have made it functional though that would have taken an enormous amount of extra work. So instead I made a simple cubic cage and attached coloured tiles. I hung it from a tree replacing a traditional feeder in the hope that birds would more likely accept it. After three days of nothing they finally returned.
I hope you do make a functional one someday so that the birds can have something else to do while they're at the feeder!

It is possible though that they stayed away initially with worries of whether they'd be able to solve it or not.

Great idea indeed! This pair of Robins must love the new setup to bits, as they've got a tad territorial with it, especially so against the Blue Tit.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back