• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adding to Mixed Seed? (1 Viewer)

Joe94

United Kingdom
Hey All,

Firstly can I just say another huge thank you everyone who has offered there support & advice to my previous posts. You have all been so kind & helpful with my new passion and it’s makes me so glad I found & joined this community :)

However I do have another question if I may.

So I currently have a Classic mixed seed mix in one feeder, it’s a good brand (Tom Chambers) and includes what I relies is general mixed seed makes, black sunflower hearts ect... however it isn’t being touched at the mo. Now I appreciate in the colder months birds enjoy the fattier suet type thing, which they are, but I have done some research & it’s seems really high quality expensive mix seed also includes things like mealworms & peanut flakes along with the general mix seeds.

So my thinking was because I have such a large amount of the general mix seed (I bought in bulk), would it be worth myself mixing in some mealworms & peanuts pellets to add the goodness & make it more appealing? Rather than waste what I have.

Thanks as always everyone & hope you don’t mind my beginner questions aha, good new is hopefully the feeding station is beginning to thrive :)

I'd not bother, Joe. The seed mix will get eaten and should last for some time so it won't be wasted.

Why don't you try it with a small amount, and see how it fares Joe.

As long as you keep the seed in a cool dry place, it should last out til the spring, when they'll likely want it again.. .. and they'll definitely want some mealworms during the breeding season.

Why don't you try it with a small amount, and see how it fares Joe.

As long as you keep the seed in a cool dry place, it should last out til the spring, when they'll likely want it again.. .. and they'll definitely want some mealworms during the breeding season.
Ahh brilliant idea 🙂 & thankyou for the tips too!

Thank you Delia, very much appreciated at always :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back