• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rucksack for 300mm F2.8 (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hi, Ive been talking about a rucksack which will house my Canon 300mm F2.8 attatched to 40D with either the 1.4x or 2x TC, Ive been told the Lowepro minitrekker will do this job, but only just. I have since seen this LOWEPRO FLIPSIDE 300, which says It will house my kit, but will it house It with the above mentioned TC's (either one), the Interior Dimensions are 9.1W X 5.4D X 15.9H in./ . You see all I will have in the rucksack will be the camera, lens, tc all attatched, my 100-400 lens & which ever TC is not attatched, so It wont be packed. Has anyone got the flipside 300 with the mentioned setup?

Thankyou.
Sean..

canonman77;2061795. You see all I will have in the rucksack will be the camera said:
Won't you have a bean bag ? or waterproof ?
I have the same kit and use a Tamrac 8 which is a bit of an 'overkill' as it used to take my 500mm f4 but it does allow me to get in the extra goodies plus 150mm macro. I know it makes the whole thing heavier but it does allow all the options.

I was using the minitrekker for the 7D + 300mm and it fit like a glove length-wise, leaving space for more lenses on the left and right of the 300mm.

hi micloi, yeah Ive been told that the minitrekker is ok, but Im leaning towards the Flipside 300, but we shall see. thanks.

sean.

I use a Lowepro 600AW to carry my 300 f2.8 with a TC and camera attached and, most importantly, the hood in shooting position. That makes for very rapid deployment. The disadvantage is that there's no room for anything else, just a little pounch big enough for spare cards and batteries. But I just use a couple of Sliplock cases to carry any extra lenses, TCs, bins, etc.

Attachments

• 600 aw2.jpg
    600 aw2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 331
  • 600aw 1.jpg
    600aw 1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 384
I use a Lowepro 600AW to carry my 300 f2.8 with a TC and camera attached and, most importantly, the hood in shooting position. That makes for very rapid deployment. The disadvantage is that there's no room for anything else, just a little pounch big enough for spare cards and batteries. But I just use a couple of Sliplock cases to carry any extra lenses, TCs, bins, etc.

Frank has pointed something out here. 9 times out of ten you'll want your 2x on so finding a bag that accomodates your lens with 2x attached and without having to reverse the lens hood would be the most ideal and a big timesaver.

As has been suggested the Tamrac Exp 8 will do this with even your camera attached I think and is the one I'm eyeing up or maybe even the 9 just to be safe. The equivalent Lowerpro would probs be the Vertex 400 but the Tamrac's are cheaper so that's the best buy IMO.

Hi, which Tamrac is it, tamrac pro 8?

Sean....

TBH it just has Expedition8 on it.....bought it 2nd hand so can't be more specific. I do know it is very comfortable on longish walks-obviously not quick access to gear but I've never felt that to be a problem-if I'm in area where I think I will need the camera quickly I just carry it on the strap and leave the rucksack on my back.

It all depends on what you want to cart around. I have both the Expedition 8 and also the minitrekker
The Expedition 8 wins hands down for what you can get in, hood fixed, every accessory under the sun etc. But it's quite a big beast of a bag.
I dont find having the hood fixed in position to be any big deal to be honest and almost always use the Minitrekker
Mike.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for all your input on rucksacks, but the money ive since spent on the lens, converters, monopod, etc-etc, Im limited to how much Ive got for a rucksack, Im going to try the flipside 400, It says it will hold a pro dslr & 300mm f2.8 lens, the advantage being, I have the 40D, which is smaller than a pro dslr & I wont be putting that much in the bag anyway, so we shall see how i get on. Thankyou anyway, Ive got to say, this Is the best website/forum for getting advice, tips & general help for photography & photography needs, you guys really make life easier & for that I thank you.

Sean..

I have been using a Flipside 300, but thinking of getting the 400 so I can get some more miscellaneous gear in

Keep an eye on the classifieds for my 300 at about 30 quid!!

**EDIT, just ordered up a 400 so if you want to try a 300 let me know, I carry a 40D with 400mm f5.6 attached and the accessory pouch still fits in too

Last edited:
Hi, do the Lowepro sliplock cases fit the flipside 400, Im looking for a couple for the 1.4x & 2x Teleconverters. If anyone uses them for this purpose could you let me know which Ones you use. Thankyou.

Sean. (I wish this weather would ease up, Ive had my Canon 300mm f2.8 over a week now & Its not been out to play yet).

Phil, Yes you did, but got other things that I might add to my bag, so If I can make room by putting the TC's in outer cases, all the better..

Sean.

Hi, do the Lowepro sliplock cases fit the flipside 400, Im looking for a couple for the 1.4x & 2x Teleconverters. If anyone uses them for this purpose could you let me know which Ones you use.

I use a single Lenscase 1N to hold both TCs. Its the perfect size.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back