• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rustic Bunting? Hong Kong (1 Viewer)

earlytorise

Hi, attached please find three pictures of a bunting I found in Hong Kong yesterday, followed by heavily cropped versions of the same photos. The surroundings might indicate how much lighting there was.

Is it definitely a Rustic?

The two problems are

1) how to separate Rustic from similar birds like Yellow-browed Bunting

2) how to interpret these not-sharp images. :) So for example in DSCN9855 the front of the supercilium looks as dark as the crown (i.e. the pale section of the supercilium seemingly ends where the dark section starts right away), but in DSCN9853 the front of the supercilium seems brownish and less dark than the crown. Could it be that in the former, the feathers from the lateral crown-stripe are covering up the front of the supercilium? Hard for me to judge.

Cheers

Attachments

• DSCN9854c.jpg
    DSCN9854c.jpg
    851.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN9853c.jpg
    DSCN9853c.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN9855c.jpg
    DSCN9855c.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN9854cc.jpg
    DSCN9854cc.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN9853cc.jpg
    DSCN9853cc.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN9855cc.jpg
    DSCN9855cc.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
It looks fine for Rustic to me. Note that the upperparts (mantle and probably rump) show pinkish-rufous streaks, it looks like the flanks have broad rufous streaks, lesser coverts are rufous, prominent white wing bar, crested appearance, well marked head pattern, etc. Rustic was previously a major rarity here but has increased in recent years (despite the declining global trend).

I think photo 9855 is deceiving for supercilium pattern. The head is largely hidden behind the grass and angled slightly away, which could affect the apparent contrast with the lateral crown stripes. 9853 shows the unobscured head and should be more reliable

Is it definitely a Rustic?
Yes.

I'm not absolutely sure what you are saying about the supercilium. But fIrst winter birds look like this - see attachment 1 - and the super is very yellow, but the at the front the brown blends into the crown -see attachment 2

How to separate Rustic from similar birds like Yellow-browed Bunting

I have only seen Yellow-browed once, whereas Rustic is a winter visitor near my house in large numbers. I think telling them apart from the back in autumn may not be so easy. The yellow brow of Yellow-browed is yellower (compared to the creamy of the Rustic 1W), but if you have no comparison bird, it's not easy. If you have a front view, then as John Allcock says, the rufous streaking on the flanks of Rustic, as opposed to the black streaking on Yellow-browed is an excellent distinguishing feature - see attachment 3.

200123021 Nara Ponds.jpg200123021A Nara Ponds.jpg150924058 Hegura.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back