• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rylirk's 2019 list (2 Viewers)

24/12/2019 - La Fortuna & Monteverde, Costa Rica

Up at dawn to spend a couple of hours at the Bogarin trail in La Fortuna, where they leave fruit out to attract a whole host of tropical stuff!

512. * Grey-Headed Chachalaca
513. * Ruddy Ground Dove
514. * Rufous-Naped Wood-Rail
515. * Yellow-Billed Cacique
516. * Red-Legged Honeycreeper
517. * Yellow-Throated Euphonia
518. * White-Throated Crake
519. * Grey-Rumped Swift
520. * Orange-Billed Sparrow
521. * Rose-Throated Becard
522. * Black-Cheeked Woodpecker

Then onto Monteverde to stay a couple of nights. Didn't do the cloud forest reserve on the first day, instead did the hanging bridges at a different site called Selvatura in Guanacaste province. First, got one bird from the bus just outside the entrance:

523. * Brown Jay

Then a bunch more in the park itself:

524. * Common Bush Tanager
525. * Purple-Throated Mountaingem
526. * Black-Faced Solitaire
527. * Slate-Throated Whitestart
528. * Wedge-Billed Woodcreeper
529. * Black-Eared Warbler

Last edited:
25/12/2019 - Monteverde,Costa Rica

Up to the Cloud Forest on Christmas Day! My first chance at seeing a quetzal; one of my Big 3 target birds worldwide (the others being Wallcreeper and Australian Magpie). Actually quite difficult to find things in the cloud forest; an hour and a half guided tour only turned up a few new birds for the list:

530. * Slaty-Backed Nightingale-Thrush
531. * Ruddy Treerunner
532. * Grey-Breasted Wood-Wren

Hmm, no quetzal so far. Was beginning to get a bit worried at this point. Then onto the hummingbird feeders outside the reserve entrance, absolutely teeming with various hummingbirds (and some bananaquit imposters):

533. * Violet Sabrewing
534. * Green-Crowned Brilliant
535. * Stripe-Tailed Hummingbird
536. * Bananaquit
537. * Coppery-Headed Emerald
538. * Magenta-Throated Woodstar
539. * Lesser Violetear

At this point, the tour group went back to the town to go do other stuff. But I wasn't about to leave without my quetzal! So back into the reserve I went...

540. * Resplendent Quetzal

Found her almost immediately after re-entering the reserve! Absolutely fantastic bird, and feels very surreal to write it onto my world list! Didn't have any views of a male unfortunately, but the female quetzal is a frankly beautiful bird in her own right. One of my life's birding goals achieved! :D Great Christmas gift!

Without the other tourists I could take the reserve a bit slower too, and I got a couple more fromthe Cloud Reserve before lunchtime:

541. * Azure-Hooded Jay
542. * Silver-Throated Tanager

Then spent the afternoon back near the main town near the inventively named 'Ecological Reserve' at Monteverde. Didn't expect a whole lot, but I got 2 more of my 6 targets! The targets were Quetzal, any Potoo, Magpie-Jay, any Toucan, Scarlet Macaw & Sunbittern.

543. * Lesson's Motmot
544. * Golden-Browed Chlorophonia
545. * Blue-Throated Toucanet
546. * White-Fronted Amazon
547. * White-Throated Magpie-Jay

Although I did technically see my first Toucan on the 22nd, it was for about 0.1 seconds so I didn't count that one as ticking toucan off the target list ;) Either way, ended Christmas day on 4/6 for my Costa Rica targets list. Also tied my record set on the 22nd for most lifers in a day.

Last edited:
26/12/2019 - Monteverde & Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica

Back to the Ecological Reserve this morning; guide volunteered to take me and one of the other tourists down there as he knew I was having trouble finding and IDing the LBJs in the rainforest ;)

548. * Cabanis's Wren
549. * Rufous-Capped Warbler
550. * Rufous-Breasted Wren
551. * White-Eared Ground Sparrow
552. * Collared Whitestart
553. * White-Naped Brush Finch

Then on towards Manuel Antonio on the coast. 2 more for the year list on the road:

554. * Magnificant Frigatebird
555. * Scarlet Macaw

5/6 for the wish list :D (Spoilers: I didn't get sunbittern, so I had to settle with 5/6 in the end ;) )

Didn't go into the reserve at Manuel Antonio today, but went to an overlook in between Manuel Antonio and Quepos so the other tourists could clamber down about a billion steps to the beach. I stayed at the top; got proper views of a yellow-throated toucan at last, and a few nice new birds for the list:

556. * Red-Crowned Woodpecker
557. * Pale-Vented Pigeon
558. * Yellow-Crowned Euphonia
559. * Yellow-Bellied Flycatcher

27/12/2019 - Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica

Birded quite a few different spots today in the sweltering heat; its very hot on the Costa Rican coast!!! Spent the morning in the Manuel Antonio reserve; fabulous place, but much too busy for proper leisurely birding :/ Lots of hummingbirds though; saw Charming hummer on the nest, and two blue-breasted sapphire chicks _in_ a nest.

560. * Fiery-Billed Aracari
561. * Crowned Woodnymph
562. * Stripe-Throated Hermit
563. * Chestnut-Backed Antbird
564. * Charming Hummingbird
565. * Blue-Throated Sapphire
566. * Black-Hooded Antshrike

Then over to the island/town of Damas for a boat trip round the mangroves. Probably would have seen a lot more if not for the screaming child aboard...

567. * Common Black Hawk
568. * Semipalmated Plover

Then spent an hour or so wandering around the town of Quepos on the way back. Tried a bit of a seawatch for terns or boobies, but not luck there:

569. * Franklin's Gull
570. * Ringed Kingfisher

Then one more in the village adjoined to the Manuel Antonio reserve, just outside my hotel:

571. * Grey-Necked Wood Rail

28/12/2019 - Manuel Antonio

Last day in Costa today, and spent the morning with the guide at a trail near the hotel. I should point out that I wasn't on a birding tour, just a regular tour group thingy. However, by chance, the guide was also a birder and a professional bird guide! Think he was somewhat glad to get to do some birding work as part of this trip too ;)

572. * Green Honeycreeper
573. * Ochre-Bellied Flycatcher
574. * Northern Waterthrush
575. * Riverside Wren
576. * Black-Bellied Wren
577. * Golden-Naped Woodpecker

Then one last Costa Rica lifer waiting in the hotel garden for the bus back to San Jose. What a fantastic trip!

578. * Purple-Crowned Fairy

Summary for November:

118 year ticks
105 lifers

Last edited:
So that's birding done for 2019! 578 birds and 284 lifers. Don't expect to be topping this year for quite some time...

A few stats for to sum up the year:

Year ticks (lifers) per country:

USA: 281 (158)
UK: 148 (3)
Costa Rica: 117 (105)
Armenia: 28 (16)
Netherlands: 2 (1)
Austria: 1 (1)
Ireland: 1 (0)
Mexico: 0 (0)
Germany: 0 (0)

Top sites for year ticks