• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

S California coast bird, today (2006-04-16) (3 Viewers)

Both Sooty and Bridled have similar dark underwing patterns, the darker tones covering the primaries and distal parts of the secondaries. In Bridleds, however, they appear more pealy grey compared to the charcoal tones of Sooty. The tones on this bird edge towards the darker end, so could it be a Sooty? The pictured bird certainly has this pattern but where is the white forehead? Is it absent or is it a trick of the photograph?

saw another tern [edit] just after sunset, so I may have new photos tomorrow. the wing beat was slow and it seemed labored. of course, not necessarily the same species as photos above. wing topside was definitely not dark/black.

Last edited:
Hi Greenerisbetter,
good to see this thread getting a bit of life back but if you saw 'another one' the chances of it being actually Bridled Tern are diminished.
Or it is the same bird lingering of course.

forgot to thank everyone for their comments. thanks!

there exisit two human birds in this photo from this evening, taken about 200m from the mystery tern:

Attachments

• 2006-04-22-001-4980.1a.jpg
    2006-04-22-001-4980.1a.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 111
here is a Sooty that I blacked out the white on the forehead...too much more black through the eye
Underwing similar though

Attachments

• 128-sooty_tern_in_flight.jpg
    128-sooty_tern_in_flight.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
sorry for the delay. just the two sightings and one photo. i'm fairly certain the photo'd individual's wing tops were very light colored based on having watched it for a minute or so while it was fishing.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back