• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sabine's Gull - Hampshire Jan 2023 (1 Viewer)

Muppit17

There is currently a Sabine's Gull frequenting the area around Southmoors in Langstone Harbour in Hampshire. It is a scarce visitor to the county however it is very infrequent in Jan and, in common with other records at this time, it is an adult.

The question here is that the bird appears to be in full summer plumage. As I understood it, and from my research, moult is not yet fully understood in this species, however this should have been completed by December. The moult to summer plumage commences through the first quarter of the year. This bird has a full hood and dark ring and shows no evidence of head moult at all. Of the other feathers they all seem fresh, although the inner feathers, especially T1-3 looking abraded, although the outer tail looks fresh, but perhaps not fully grown.

I have looked for other images on the net and not surprisingly for a pelagic wintering species there a few. However, all I have found seem to suggest that this is an odd combination for January.

Can anyone offer any personal observations or data sources that can add to my understanding

Many thanks

Attachments

• DSC01818.JPG
    DSC01818.JPG
    737.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC01822.JPG
    DSC01822.JPG
    690.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC01829.JPG
    DSC01829.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • DSC01848.JPG
    DSC01848.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC01881.JPG
    DSC01881.JPG
    894.1 KB · Views: 18
I went today and, in addition to the tail, the tips of the outer primaries look quite worn

Attachments

• R10_003965.jpg
    R10_003965.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 20
  • R10_004046.jpg
    R10_004046.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 20
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back