• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sad discovery (1 Viewer)

jimtfoto

About three years ago, I heard a thud on one of our windows and looked out to find a Black-and-White Warbler laying on our patio. Stunned by the impact, it took about half an hour for him to fully regain consciousness and fly off. I think that might have been one of the first bird pictures I ever took.

On arriving home from work today, I went out on to the patio to fire up the BBQ. Our dog paid particular attention to the back of the BBQ and I shooed him off, thinking he was after scraps.

To my dismay, I found a small warbler laying dead on the patio floor. I was not familiar with the species, but, after picking him up and giving him a good lookover before disposing of the body, I checked my Sibley.

It was an adult male Black-Throated Green Warbler. How sad that this was my first sighting of this beautiful and delicate little creature.

jim

Last edited:
Hello Jim,

It's really sad to hear of your discovery.

I had a similar problem a few years ago and was constantly finding dead and stunned birds on my back garden, after they had flown in to the kitchen windows and patio doors.

All that stopped when I cut out the reflection from the glass. All that the birds can see when flying is the reflection of your garden trees and grass, or the sky and so just carries on flying.

Cut the reflection out and you will also see an end to the sorry deaths.

Try buying some anti-reflection film to coat the glass, or put up blinds, or curtains. It will do the job - just see!

All the best from the UK.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back