• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sad news about Artemisia (Eastern Imperial Eagle) (1 Viewer)

Bitis

Austria
Artemisia was a satellite tagged Eastern Imperial Eagle (born and tagged 2021 in Austria). She got quite famous as she visited Germany, Luxembourg (1st record), the Netherlands, Belgium (3rd record) and France among other countries this year (Eastern Imperial Eagle embarks on tour of north-west Europe).

Sadly she was found shot in Burgenland, Austria (also the state in which she was born) and had to be put down because of her severe injuries. (BirdLife: Österreichs berühmteste Kaiseradler-Dame wurde erschossen | Kleine Zeitung).

It's such a mess and makes me so sad and angry! I hope they find the person that shot Artemisia. Got no more words (I have them but don't want to write them online)!

Last edited:
Tragic, was the bird still being tracked when shot?
I'm not a 100 % sure, but I think so, I guess that's how they found her. I found an article that says that since 2011 thirty Eastern Imperial Eagles where satellite tagged in Austria. About one third of them were killed illegally (Kaiseradler erstmals nach Luxemburg geflogen --> it's in German but there is also a picture of the route Artemisia took. The article is from march, so it doesn't show her way back to Austria). So on average about one per year. And that's only those that got satellite tagged in Austria. So the dark figure is probably a lot higher. That's just sad ...

I'm not a 100 % sure, but I think so, I guess that's how they found her. I found an article that says that since 2011 thirty Eastern Imperial Eagles where satellite tagged in Austria. About one third of them were killed illegally (Kaiseradler erstmals nach Luxemburg geflogen --> it's in German but there is also a picture of the route Artemisia took. The article is from march, so it doesn't show her way back to Austria). So on average about one per year. And that's only those that got satellite tagged in Austria. So the dark figure is probably a lot higher. That's just sad ...
Google Translate does quite a good job on both the Kleine Zeitung and the Burgenland.ORF articles.

Without mentioning locations, I know of previous nest locations near Zurndorf (Courtesy of Michi D); I share your anger and disappointment, Flo.
MJB

Artemisia was a satellite tagged Eastern Imperial Eagle (born and tagged 2021 in Austria). She got quite famous as she visited Germany, Luxembourg (1st record), the Netherlands, Belgium (3rd record) and France among other countries this year (Eastern Imperial Eagle embarks on tour of north-west Europe).

Sadly she was found shot in Burgenland, Austria (also the state in which she was born) and had to be put down because of her severe injuries. (BirdLife: Österreichs berühmteste Kaiseradler-Dame wurde erschossen | Kleine Zeitung).

It's such a mess and makes me so sad and angry! I hope they find the person that shot Artemisia. Got no more words (I have them but don't want to write them online)!
R.I.P. Artemisia :cry:

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back